Almost all of us have had a headache in our life atleast once. It is quite a common symptom. While for some it vanishes in some time, for many others, it is a persistent condition.
However, headache is not a disease. It is just a symptom and there can be different reasons behind it.
Common Reasons Behind Headache
- High Blood Pressure
- Weak Eyesight
- Lack Of Sleep
- Lack Of Proper Rest
- Poor Lifestyle
These are some of the most common causes behind headache among others. If a headache is persistent, it can be because of an underlying health issue and one should consult a doctor immediately if that's the case is to prevent any serious health issues.
We asked Anchal Kapur, Co-founder & Lifestyle Medicine Coach, Wellcure to share some natural home remedies for headaches that are caused due to common reasons. Read on.
Take peels of 2-3 lemons, grind them into a paste and apply on your forehead. The aroma of lemons calms your senses and soothes the pain. It relieves the throbbing too.
A cold compress/ice pack on your head or neck reduces the sensation of pain.
Carom Or Ajwain Seeds
For headaches due to common cold or migraine, wrap some ajwain or carom seeds powder in a small cotton cloth to make a ‘potli’. Keep smelling it frequently for symptomatic relief.
Neem Leaves Powder
If you keep getting frequent headaches, take 1 tsp of neem leaves powder with water in the morning.
Grind 10-12 black peppercorns and 10-12 grains of rice with water to make a paste.Apply on the affected area of the head for 15-20 minutes.
Wet Eye Packs
Wet packs on the eyes provide instant relief from headaches as well as eye strain. Dip a strip of cotton cloth in water (room temperature), wring it well (it shouldn’t be dripping) and place it on your eyes. Relax. Change the wet pack after 3-5 minutes. Do it for at least 20-30 minutes.
The expert further shared the importance of staying hydrated. She shared that one must substitute caffeinated drinks with water, and fresh fruit juices, like that of pomegranate.
Don't Miss: These Hairstyles Can Give You Severe Headaches!
The wellness expert shared that spinach contains a high amount of folic acid and vitamin B which helps in relieving migraines. Eating banana, papaya, apples, apricot, and citrus fruits helps in calming down the nerve circuits in your brain and relieve the pain.
- Your lifestyle habits play a key role in determining your health. The expert suggested a few changes one must make in their lifestyle to prevent headaches.
- Ensure that you get a good sleep every night, of a minimum of 7-8 hours.
- Wash your face before going to bed.
- Refrain from any gadgets at least an hour before bed for quality sleep. Don't keep your mobile phones or laptops near your head at night to avoid any disturbance from buzzing or ringing of phones and also the harmful effects of emanating radiations.
- Try meditating before hitting the sack for a peaceful sleep.
- Breathing exercises like ‘Anulom Vilom’ and ‘Brahmari Pranayam’ are very helpful in relieving migraines in the long term.
Though these home remedies are effective, make sure you consult your doctor before following any of these if you are undergoing medication or a health treatment. For more such stories, stay tuned!