The body works in synchronization as a result of the healthy nutrients that we eat to nurture it. And Calcium is one of the most important of them all. It not only makes way for stronger and denser bones but also helps in the generation of new tissues for your teeth, nails, and other regions and further supports the structure and hardness of these regions. It is crucial as in addition to that, it helps the nerves carry the messages around the body and the brain and helps the muscles to move.
And all we really know about calcium is that the best source of this mineral is milk and a few other dairy sources that we should consume regularly in order to maintain a healthy balance of this mineral in the body. But expert nutritionist Pooja Makhija shared a video talking about the non-dairy sources of calcium and how they help us. Let us take you through the breakdown of the same.
Pooja Makhija’s Video
The video was posted in order to talk about the nutritional facts about the non-dairy sources of calcium and it was captioned as,” Calcium is very important for your health. In fact, you have more calcium in your body than any other mineral. The recommended daily intake (RDI) of calcium is 1,000 mg per day for most adults, though women over 50 and everyone over 70 should get 1,200 mg per day, while children aged 4–18 are advised to consume 1,300 mg.”
The Role Of Calcium
- The primary roles of the mineral are listed below:
- Calcium facilitates the strengthening of the bones(herbs for strong bones) and helps with bone density, this further makes the functionality of the entire body better.
- In addition to that, it is stored in the bones and teeth and helps in the stabilisation of the structure and maintenance of the hardness in these regions.
- Helps the muscles to carry out normal movements.
- Assists the transportation of messages through the nerves to and from the body part to the brain and vice versa.
- Lastly, it also helps the blood in the vessels to be transported throughout the body. And releases different enzymes and hormones that are vital for many different functions.
Non-Dairy Sources And How To Consume Them
Pooja Makhija sketched out a list of some simple natural sources that can provide you as much calcium as a glass of milk would. So, if you are leaving dairy products and concerned about your health then take a look at this list that will surely help you out.
- Kidney bean 100g raw = 140mg Ca
- almonds 100g = 260mg calcium
- 8 Figs = 241mg Ca
- Tofu 100g = 680mg calcium
- 30g Sesame = 300mg Calcium
- 45g Chia Seeds= 300mg Calcium
- 20g poppy seeds(drink, halwa, porridge)= 300mg Calcium
- Dark green leafy vegetables, a bowlful(Moringa, Methi, Kale)= 300mg Calcium
- Ragi flour 100g =300mg Calcium
- Dried Moringa Powder= 300mg Calcium
- Sweet potato
- Sunflower Seeds
- Rocket leaves
So, try these amazing sources of calcium if you can’t tolerate lactose. Stay tuned to Her Zindagi for more such pieces.