PCOS is a condition that involves the abnormal production of androgen or male sex hormones by the ovaries. It stands for polycystic ovary syndrome as small sacs start developing in the ovaries which further cause this condition. In some cases, the problem may further disrupt the process of ovulation as the hormones needed to facilitate the process are not produced sufficiently.
As awareness about this condition in women is increasing things are becoming way easier for them to navigate. Taking this awareness further, expert nutritionist Pooja Makhija spoke about the types of PCOS and shared some interesting nutrition hacks for all women to follow. So, since it is the first day of National nutrition week let us take a look at how some nutrition hacks that you need to know for PCOS.
PCOS can affect everyone differently, and knowing what type of PCOS you have is an important step to treat your symptoms and heal PCOS successfully.
Insulin Resistant PCOS And Treatment
- Insulin resistant PCOS is largely associated with insulin sensitivity and one of the most common types of PCOS and here are some things you must do to treat it:
- Improve your body’s sensitivity towards insulin by regular exercise that helps in burning sugar and lose weight.
- Balance your blood sugar levels by consuming a well-balanced carbohydrate diet that is rich in proteins and fats. Also, make sure to avoid the consumption of high sugar foods.
- Sleeping well and reducing stress will also help you in maintaining the sugar levels and insulin response.
- Nutrition with magnesium, chromium, NAC, inositol is advisable however, it is important to check with your nutritionist for the exact dosage and duration, before taking these.
Adrenal PCOS And Treatment
- Activities like yoga, meditation, mindfulness, and gratitude journalling, that facilitate the management of stress and will help to support your nervous system and your hormones.
- It is crucial for you to make sure you’re getting at least 8 hours of sleep each night. This will support your stress levels and will also help with the recovery of your body.
- You must also not push yourself to do very intense exercise and stick to the ones that are low in intensity and calming for you as the former can impact your adrenaline levels adversely.
- Magnesium, vitamin B5, and vitamin C are some nutrients that are advisable for you as they relax the adrenal glands and boost your nervous system. However, you must speak to your nutritionist before consuming these.
Post-pill PCOS And Treatment
- "This type can take some time to reverse but remember it is a temporary situation.
- Speak to a practitioner about supplementation. Nutrients such as magnesium, vitamin E, vitamin B6, zinc can be helpful to support ovulation and lower excess androgens.
- Prioritise sleep and stress management. Like insulin resistance PCOS, it is important to get a good quality sleep and reduce stress levels to support overall hormonal balance." explains the expert nutritionist about this types of PCOS.
Inflammatory PCOS And Treatment
- Working on your gut health is the key to calming the effects of this type of PCOS. You must fix leaky gut tissue, balancing gut bacteria, improving digestive enzymes and eliminate pathogenic bacteria out of your system to get rid of the overall inflammation.
- Remove food triggers that cause inflammation(inflammatory foods) and also avoid the ones that your body is sensitive to.
- “Turmeric, omega 3 fatty acids as well as antioxidants like NAC can help to support this type of PCOS,” says Pooja. She also adds, “Always speak to a nutritionist first to see if these are right for you.”
So, stay healthy and bid PCOS goodbye with these solid nutrition hacks easily and understand the importance of the right nutrition this national nutrtion week. If you liked reading this article then stay tuned to Her Zindagi for more.