If you are a mother-to-be or a new mom, trying to adapt to the new phase, new responsibilities, you have landed on the right page. As a nursing mom, there is a lot you need to take care of. Right from ensuring that the baby is getting a good latch to keeping a check on the milk production, as a mother, you have a long checklist to mark.
Among all the other issues which you might face as a new mother is breast milk leakage. Though it is completely natural and not a cause to worry, it can lead to a lot of discomfort and embarrassment by spoiling your clothes throughout the day.
To prevent such a situation, all nursing mothers should have nursing pads or breast pads handy.
What Are Nursing Pads?
Breast pads or nursing pads are circular pads that are made of fabric like cotton or bamboo. These pads can be worn between the nipple and the bra so that they can soak in all the excess milk leakage from the breasts. A nursing pad is more like a sanitary pad that controls leakage.
Benefits Of Using Nursing Pads
- Nursing pads help in soaking milk leakage. They prevent the breast milk from soiling your clothes.
- Using these pads helps you prevent the embarrassment of wet spots around your nipple area.
- If you breastfeed regularly, your breasts turn tender and lose their firmness. Using a breast pad helps provide them support.
- As a barrier between your nipples and bra, breast pads soothe the tenderness of the breasts.
Nursing Pad Options
You will find different nursing pad options in the market and you can choose one as per your preference.
Disposable Nursing Pads
Disposable pads are single-use absorbent pads that are quite thin. They usually come individually packed.
- Easy to use
- Adhesive helps the pad stay in place
- Comfortable on the skin
These pads can be washed in the machine and used multiple times. They are thicker as compared to disposable pads.
- Eco friendly
These pads aren't absorbent but they put pressure on your breast to prevent milk leakage.
- Soft on the skin
- Easy to use
- Can be worn with or without a bra
- Can be used under fancy clothing
Homemade Breast Pads
You can also make nursing pads at home using a clean cotton material, handkerchief. Cut it into a round shape and stitch some layers together to ensure they absorb milk leakage. (Nutrition hacks for feeding mothers)
- Soft against your skin
How To Wear A Nursing Pad?
It is quite easy to wear a nursing pad. Just made sure your nipple is clean. Begin with peeling the pad from the packet and positioning it in the cup of your bra. It should be place in the center so that it covers the nipple and you get maximum coverage against the milk leakage. Stick the pad and wear the bra.
Once you feel your breast pad has become wet, peel it off and dispose off in a tissue or disposable bag.
If using a reusable nursing pad, place the pad in the cup of your bra. These pads don't have an adhesive so you have to ensure you position it correctly. It should be at the center, covering your nipple. You might need to adjust the pad after wearing your bra, do it as per your comfort. When the pad gets wet, remove it and put it separately for cleaning.
Don't Miss: Tips For Sleep Deprivation Among New Mothers
If you are using a non-disposable nursing pad, make sure you clean it every week. If you don't clean the nursing pad, it can become a breeding ground for yeast which can be harmful for both you and your baby. Clean the nursing pad with water and vinegar, dry it naturally and avoiding using for about 2-3 weeks.
Be it a reusable pad or a disposable one, make sure you replace them timely to avoid irritation and infection on your breasts.
Tips To Keep In Mind
- In case of re-usable nursing pads, you might find it challenging to completely remove the pad when its wet because of the adhesive but don't be hard or you can end up hurting yourself. Take some water and spread it on the outer layer. This will help loosen up the nursing pad and make it easier for you to take it off.
- Even if your leakage is low, make sure you don't wear the breast pad for too long.
- Always clean your breasts properly after removing the nursing pad to prevent the risk of infection.
- Initially, you might notice a lot of milk leakage and you will have to use multiple breast pads throughout the day. Don't hesitate in changing your nursing pads.
We hope this quick guide helps you have a comfortable and safe nursing time with your munchkin. For more such stories, stay tuned!
Did you like this article ?
Your skin and body like you are unique. While we have taken all measures to ensure that the information provided in this article and on our social media channels is credible and expert verified, we recommend you consult a doctor or your dermatologist before trying a home remedy, quick hack or exercise regime. For any feedback or complaint, reach out to us at firstname.lastname@example.org