Vitamin B12 has a very important role in the functioning of the brain and the nervous system of a human body. It helps our body’s nervous system and blood cells and keeps it healthy. It also makes the DNA, the genetic material present in all the cells. The extreme level of Vitamin B12 deficiency can cause severe neurological and brain health damage if not diagnosed early on. The range of Vitamin B12 levels are:
>300 pg/ml 201-300 pg/ml <201 pg/ml.
Who Is At Risk?
- People who consume only vegetarian or vegan food and are dependent entirely on plant protein.
- People with weak gut health and having inflammatory health issues in their body.
- People who have a habit of taking medicines, digestive pills and antacids without thinking are more at risk. Taking Antacids for stomach ulcers, heartburn, reflux can decrease the acid production; hence slows down B12 absorption.
- People who do alcohol abuse or drug abuse.
- People with weak liver since B12 is stored in the liver.
- People suffering from type 1 and type 2 diabetes.
- Senior citizens and Adults over the age of 50 years: Diet and age are the main culprits of vitamin B12 deficiency. With age, the stomach produces less acid, and stomach acid is key for B12 absorption
Don't miss; Benefits Of Turmeric Milk
How To Manage Vitamin B12 Deficiency With Diet
Vitamin B 12 is mainly found in animal meats and products such as fish, meat, eggs and dairy products.
Vegetarians can get it through milk, cheese and yogurt.
Non-vegetarians can consume eggs, beef, pork, ham, poultry, lamb, fish and tuna.
For vegans, they can consume foods that are fortified in Vitamin B12 such as cereals and soya milk.
For a Vitamin B12 boost include dark green leafy vegetables, nuts, enriched grain products, such as bread, cereal, pasta and rice, fruits and fresh fruit juices in your daily diet plans.
Did you like this article ?
Your skin and body like you are unique. While we have taken all measures to ensure that the information provided in this article and on our social media channels is credible and expert verified, we recommend you consult a doctor or your dermatologist before trying a home remedy, quick hack or exercise regime. For any feedback or complaint, reach out to us at firstname.lastname@example.org