Almost all of us have experienced itchy eyes at least once in life. Having itchy can get really uncomfortable. Though it is not really a serious health issue, it can lead to a lot of irritation.
For some it is not just the itchiness, it is accompanied by other issues like burning sensation, swelling, and pain. There can be different reasons why you are suffering from itchy eyes. We asked an eye care specialist, Dr. Anurita Wadhawan, Ophthalmologist and Chairperson of Eye Can Foundation (Delhi) to share the causes of itchy eyes and some simple home remedies to treat them quickly.
Causes Of Itchy Eyes
- A lot of us suffer from dryness in the eyes. The reasons for this can be many. Usually, tears keep our eyes moisturised but when the eyes stop producing enough tears, our eyes get itchy. Certain medications, age can contribute to dry eyes too.
- Itching can also be caused if your eyes have been exposed to viruses or bacteria.
- Excessive use of contact lenses too can negatively affect the eyes and lead to itching.
- Exposure to dust, polluted air, sunlight can also lead to itchy eyes.
- A lot of people suffer from itchy eyes due to allergy but rubbing can further irritate the eye. The germs in the eyes can also damage the pupil of the eyes.
- Lack of water in the eyes can lead to dryness. In this case, you should be using eye drops as artificial tears. They help keep the eyes moist and reduce the dryness of the eyes. However, make sure you consult your doctor before using any eye drops.
Itchy Eye Symptoms
Some common symptoms of itchy eyes are:
- Excessive dryness in the eyes
- Watery eyes
- Blurred vision
- Swollen eyelids
- Double vision
- Persistent sneezing
- Redness in the eyes
- Unbearable pain
- Swelling in the eyes
Home Remedies For Itchy Eyes
- The expert shared that if one is suffering from itchy eyes due to dryness, they must use lubricant eye drops 3 times a day for 15-20 days.
- Washing eyes with clean water can also be helpful. Clean water will help remove allergenic substances from the eyes and provide relief.
- If you find yourself gazing at screens all day, your eye doctor may have mentioned this rule to you. Basically, every 20 minutes spent using a screen; you should try to look away at something that is 20 feet away from you for a total of 20 seconds.
- To get relief from eye pain, one can compress them with ice.
- Including vitamin A and omega fatty acids in diet also helps.
- Make sure you don't use any allergenic products like makeup very close to the eye.
- It is always a good idea to wear a pair of sunglasses to protect your eyes from dust and pollution.
- A lot of rubbing can further make the itching severe. Make sure you don't rub your eyes too much if you want quick relief.
In case the problem persists or you suffer from an eye infection, issues in vision, and severe eye pain, stop the home remedies immediately and consult an ophthalmologist.
We hope these home remedies help you treat itchy eyes quickly. For more such expert tips, stay tuned to HerZindagi.