No matter how much you may have cribbed about your periods every month when you are in your thirties, irregularity in your menses can leave you palpitating. Having battled an ovarian cyst herself, HerZindagi's Megha Mamgain has shared her first-person account of what happened and how did she dealt with the same.
I waited for a month. Nothing. Now I started exercising. Next month, still nothing. Three months and no periods. I was feeling bloated all the time. I had definitely put on kilos and there was no escaping the doctor now. An ultrasound revealed cysts. Not one and not in one ovary. The big one was pushing the healthy ovarian tissue not allowing for my menstrual cycle to function as it should. Menopause was staring at me in my early thirties. I was not prepared for this!
'Isn’t there a pill that will fix this?', 'Why me?', 'Will I be able to conceive at all?', 'What is an ovarian cyst and how did it get into my body?' Of course these questions were peppered with multiple expletives, but the point was this was- the war was on! First I needed to get familiar with the demon.
What Is An Ovarian Cyst?
Ovarian cysts are like pimples, only they are inside your reproductive system. They are actually quite common, and come and go without us even realizing they were there. Our ovaries have follicles, that is basically a sac which carries an egg. When the follicle pushes the egg out, sometimes instead of shrinking and dissolving, it retains the fluid and becomes a cyst. This kind of cyst is called a follicular ovarian cyst. And this was what I had in my ovary. Since it had now been detected by a proper medical examination, an Ultrasound followed by an MRI, I could relate to some discomforts I had been experiencing as symptoms.
- Abdominal bloating
- Increase in weight
- Breast tenderness
- Shortness of breath
- Sharp pelvic pain
What do I do now? Harbouring the cyst was not an option. Even a benign cyst can complicate things. Ovarian torsion is one such complication, where a large cyst can twist and turn the ovary even cutting the blood supply to it. Nope. The cyst had to go.
Oral contraceptives come in handy for those who have recurring cysts. The logic is that if the ovulation is stopped new cysts will stop too. For me though, this was not an option. One, because my cyst was already there and two, because ovulation was anyway not happening.
This is like bursting the pimple. A tiny hole is made near the navel, a laparoscope goes inside and pricks the cyst. It is a small surgery and usually preferred by many.
If the cyst is large, doctors will advise a surgery in which a large incision is made in the abdomen and the cyst is removed.
Honestly, all these names and procedures freaked me out. My doctor asked for some more tests. I was to report back to her with all test results in a fortnight. Meanwhile, I just wanted the cyst gone and my periods to come back. I was praying for magic. And my prayers were answered. In these 15 days between the doctor’s visit, I discovered a magic potion, that completely cured me. I am so impressed by it that I want to share it with the world. Anyone who is undergoing the same stress and anxiety that I went through, must give this magic drink a try. It is simple, uses ingredients that can be found at home, and is a 100 % effective.
The Magic Cocktail
- 1 cup apple cider vinegar
- Half cup blackstrap molasses (liquid jaggery)
- 7 oranges
- 1 whole garlic
- 1/4th cup pure honey
- 3 beetroots
- 25 gm fresh ginger
- Put all ingredients in a blender and store this mix in the refrigerator.
- You need to drink this 3 times a day.
- Take about 40 ml out in a glass and mix with warm water. Bottoms Up!
Benefits Of The Ingredients
- Apple cider vinegar: The high potassium content in Apple Cider Vinegar has made it a favourite for many women to start their day. Turns out it helps in abdominal pain and shrinking ovarian cysts as well.
- Beetroot: Beetroot is rich in a compound called betacyanin, which helps in boosting liver's ability to clear toxins out of the system. The alkaline nature of this root vegetable helps in balancing acidity in the body, which in turn causes a reduction in the severity of symptoms
- Ginger: Ginger relieves pain and bloating. It also has both antioxidant and anticarcinogenic properties. It improves circulation to reproductive organs and helps shrink the cyst.
- Orange: Contains Vitamin C which is antioxidant having anti-inflammatory and angiogenic effects.
- Honey: Honey is a natural antibiotic that can act both internally and externally.
- Blackstrap Molasses: Rich Source of Vitamins and Minerals. Rich in calcium.
- Garlic: Garlic has allicin that increases blood flow to sex organs. Garlic is rich in vitamin B6 which stimulates ovulation.
Effect On My Body
I had this cocktail, 3 times a day for 7 days. And here is what happened. My breath smelled. And how! I was the garlic queen. Don’t reach out for breath mints, try fennel instead. It will freshen your breath and reduce water retention too! The other problem was more embarrassing. Gas! The drink will make you gassy. Well, deal with it! Because you have to be persistent. I drank the concoction for 7 days. And lo! Behold! The 8th day was “bloody”! I got my period! A good flow, lasting a good 4 days. After almost a month of my first visit to the doctor, the ultrasound revealed that the big bag cyst was gone! It vapourised! And I believe that it was my drink that did it!
Warnings & Precautions
If you have ovarian cysts, consult with a doctor to understand if treatment is necessary. The use of natural ingredients is not considered harmful and may offer nutrition and health properties. If you wish to try to treat small cysts with natural ingredients, discuss your plan with your doctor. However, there is no research to support that this home remedy should be or not be used in place of medications or surgery. Let your doctor know if you have any pain that interferes with your normal activities. Seek urgent medical care if you have any bleeding after intercourse, sudden or new abdominal pain, dizziness or fainting, or severe vaginal bleeding.
Stay tuned to HerZindagi for more.