Most of us gargle when we have a sore throat. However, that's not the only time you must be pampering your throat. Gargling is an age-old technique where we bubble a liquid in the mouth. It is more like washing your throat in motion.
A lot of studies suggest that gargling everyday can help lower the chance of respiratory infections like cold among others.
While most people like to gargle with lukewarm salt water, there are a lot of other gargling solutions that can be used for their health benefits.
Coconut oil can be used to gargle and it has some great benefits. Coconut oil is one natural ingredient that can benefit our health in many ways. From improving digestion to boosting our immunity, coconut oil can really do wonders for our overall well-being.
Coconut oil is packed with the goodness of a lot of essential vitamins, fats that boost our health. This oil is a good source of saturated fatty acids, polyunsaturated fatty acids, polyphenols, vitamin E, vitamin K among other crucial acids and minerals that can help treat a lot of our common health issues.
Coconut Oil Gargle
Always use virgin, unprocessed coconut oil to gargle. Using regular coconut oil can be harmful to your health as you might end up swallowing some oil in the process of gargling.
Take 2-3 tablespoon of coconut oil and put it into your mouth. Start to gargle. Do it gently, don't be too harsh. Also, be careful that you don't swallow the oil. Once you are done gargling for a few minutes, spit the oil. You can spit the oil in a glass and then throw it away. It is best not to spit it in the sink or toilet as the oil can lead to clogging.
- Gargling with coconut oil will not only help you soothe your throat but also kill any harmful bacteria in the mouth or the respiratory tract.
- Coconut oil is widely used for oil pulling which is highly beneficial for the teeth. Doing this will prevent cavities and keep your teeth healthy and white.
- Coconut oil is believed to reduce inflammation and gargling with it can help reduce inflammation in the mouth and also benefit gum health.
What Does The Expert Say?
Dr.Mukesh Singh Pachahara, Senior Resident (medicine), Deep Chand Bandhu Hospital shared, In the case of severe dehydration in the mouth or ulcers, a coconut oil gargle should be used. It helps keep your mouth moisturised. Coconut oil contains anti-inflammatory properties which reduce inflammation in the mouth. It also contains antioxidants that help in healing ulcers in the mouth.
Benefits Of Gargling
- When you gargle with coconut oil or any other gargling solution, you are able to clear any bacteria in the throat. This helps in decreasing the bacterial load and clears pus pockets if any.
- Gargling helps in soothing your throat. If you are having an itchy throat then gargling will help you have a soothing effect.
- Gargling can help treat throat issues if any and provide relief from inflammation or throat pain.
- Gargling also helps clear any mucus in the respiratory tract and nasal cavity.
Though gargling with coconut oil has many health benefits, it is important that you don't gargle too much or do it too vigorously. Gargling can have side effects as well. If you suffer from any, consult a doctor immediately. Also, if you have been trying coconut oil gargles for a long time for relief from inflammation, soreness among other issues but not getting any relief then make sure you consult a doctor as soon as possible or the situation can get worse. For more such health-related stories, stay tuned!