Also referred to as the “queen” or “mother” of all asanas, Sarvangasana is an inverted asana practised as an advanced posture. Sarvangasana which means ‘Shoulder Stand’ is filled with many benefits.
How Sarvangasana Helps You?
Himalayan Siddha Grand Master Akshar says, "Sarvangasana is a pose that is recommended for weight loss. In this pose, when you hold your body weight on your shoulders, you are activating your core muscles which can build core strength and also help you in shedding that extra flab. Sarvangasana practice on a daily basis improves digestion, boosts metabolism, improves the respiratory system, regulates blood circulation and is also good for thyroid issues."
If you are a new practitioner, then try to stay in the pose for about 30 seconds. Then, keep adding 5 to 10 seconds to your stay everyday until you are comfortable in that pose for 3 minutes. Then continue for 3 minutes each day for a week or two, until you are holding the pose with ease. Then slowly, add 5 to 10 seconds to your hold every day or so until you can comfortably hold the pose for 5 minutes.
Dos and Dont’s
- Practitioners with wrist, neck or shoulder issues should refrain from performing this asana.
- Women are advised to avoid performing this asana during menstruation or pregnancy.
- Practitioners who are suffering from enlarged thyroid, liver or spleen, cervical spondylitis, slipped disc and high blood pressure or other heart ailments must refrain from performing this asana.
Sarvanganasa has a lot of health benefits. Grand Master Akshar shares some benefits that you must know about this asana.
- Sarvangasana provides many of the benefits of Sirsasana and is easier to perform.
- This asana is good for those with Stage 1 and Stage 2 Thyroid issues.
- It builds core strength.
- It improves balance.
- It reverses blood flow for better blood supply to the face and nourishing the skin and detoxifies the body.
- It adds strength and flexibility to the neck, shoulder and back.
- Helps relieve the symptoms of menopause
- Reduces fatigue and alleviates insomnia
- Therapeutic for asthma, infertility, and sinusitis
For more such stories, stay tuned to HerZindagi!
Did you like this article ?
Your skin and body like you are unique. While we have taken all measures to ensure that the information provided in this article and on our social media channels is credible and expert verified, we recommend you consult a doctor or your dermatologist before trying a home remedy, quick hack or exercise regime. For any feedback or complaint, reach out to us at email@example.com