Are you noticing black dots on your legs? This could be because of a skin condition called strawberry legs. Strawberry legs happen as a result of oil, bacteria, and dead skin. Sometimes when we leave the pores open after shaving the air gets inside the pores and oxidizes the oil.
The process makes the oxidized oil look like black spots and your legs like the strawberry seeds/skin, this is why this condition is known as strawberry legs. Here’s taking a look at some potential reasons that lead to strawberry legs and what can be done to treat them.
What Causes Strawberry Legs
- Shaving: Shaving with old and improper razors or without shaving cream may cause strawberry legs. Shaving not only results in in-grown hair but burns caused by the usage of razor may also be a big reason behind strawberry legs.
- Clogged Pores: Clogged pores are other reasons that lead to strawberry legs. Our skin is composed of innumerable pores and these pores might often get clogged with bacteria, oil, or even ingrown hair and hence cause strawberry legs.
- Folliculitis: Folliculitis is when the hair follicles either become inflamed or catch some kind of infection. This can also be a potential reason for the strawberry patch on your legs. Folliculitis can happen as a result of waxing, shaving, or other hair removal methods that leave the pore open for exposure to dirt, bacteria, fungus, or yeast.
- Keratosis Pilaris: This is a treatable skin condition that happens mostly because of the dryness in the skin. In this condition, you notice small pimples appearing on your thighs and upper arms. The tiny pimples are filled with a type of protein called Keratin and dead skin cells and a regular usage of a thick moisturiser can help you overcome this condition easily. Sometimes, this condition may also cause strawberry legs.
- Very Dry Skin: Very dry skin may also result in strawberry legs. The dryness(oils to combat dryness) may itself not cause the problem, but it is perhaps the root cause of all the problems listed above and hence you must keep in mind that your skin is not left dried.
How To Cure Strawberry Legs
- Use A Good Quality Shaving Cream: Since shaving without a shaving cream may cause strawberry legs, you should go ahead and use a good quality shaving cream or lotion. Make sure to use the one that keeps your skin moisturised for a longer period of time, to avoid dryness, and keep the skin hydrated and moisturised to ward off strawberry legs easily.
- Use An Epilator: Epilator is a handheld tool that ensures deep root removal of hair and it is advisable to use it as it helps avoid in-grown hair and clogged pores.
- Moisturising Your Skin Daily Also Helps: Moisturising your skin on a daily basis may help you overcome not only strawberry legs but may also help you avoid other problems such as flaky skin etc. Use thick milk- almond-based moisturiser for deep nourishment of the skin.
- Exfoliate Your Skin Regularly: Regular exfoliation of the skin helps in getting rid of all the bacteria and unwanted particles that get deposited on the skin. You can either go for market exfoliators or create a scrub at home using natural ingredients.
- Use Products With Salicylic Acid: This acid is known for warding off dryness in the skin, and hence it may also be related to overcoming strawberry legs.
If you liked reading this article, then stay tuned to Her Zindagi for more pieces like this.
Did you like this article ?
Your skin and body like you are unique. While we have taken all measures to ensure that the information provided in this article and on our social media channels is credible and expert verified, we recommend you consult a doctor or your dermatologist before trying a home remedy, quick hack or exercise regime. For any feedback or complaint, reach out to us at firstname.lastname@example.org