Henna or mehendi is a hair dye which is being used for ages now. Not just for hair dyeing, henna is also beneficial for differet hair issues including dandruff, hair thinning among others. That's why it has been a part of our beauty routines for years now.
Though henna powder and paste is easily available in the market today, you can make your own henna powder or paste at home.
How To Make Henna Powder At Home?
Henna is prepared using henna leaves which are easily available across India.
You Will Need -
- Henna Leaves
- Wash henna leaves and dry out in the shade. If you dry them out in the sun, they will lose their colouring power.
- Once dry completely, add all the leaves to a grinder to make a powder.
- Further strain the henna powder through a sieve or muslin cloth to get fine powder.
- Store in a plastic bag in a cool, dark and dry place.
How To Make Henna Paste At Home?
Once you have the henna powder ready for you, it is easy to make a paste and use it to colour your hair.
- Soak henna powder in an iron skillet in normal water or tea or coffee water for additional colour. Adding tea or coffee water to henna powder will add to its colour.
- Next add dahi or egg depending on the requirement of your hair.
- Squeeze in some lemon juice if you have dandruff or itchiness issue on the scalp.
- Mix all the ingredients well.
- Next morning, mix the ingredients again and apply.
Right Way To Apply Henna At Home
- Before applying henna, always wash your hair with a mild shampoo. Your scalp should be clean. You can skip the conditioner as henna is a natural conditioner for your hair.
- To prevent your neck, ears from getting stained from the henna, you can apply some coconut oil beforehand.
- Center part your hair and using a wide tooth comb, detangle your tresses.
- Wear gloves and using a brush, begin to apply henna.
- Divide your hair into small sections. Apply henna from roots to tips.
- You will have to spread henna with your fingers to the tips.
- As you move from one section to the other, keep clipping your hair with a pin.
- Once done with all the sections, apply henna on areas that aren't covered.
- Using a shower cap or plastic cap, cover your hair.
- Keep for about 2-3 hours and then wash with just water.
- Remember that it will take about 1-2 days for the henna to finally develop the colour.
Benefits Of Applying Henna For Hair
- Henna is great for the scalp. It can help fight any scalp issues like dandruff, itchiness among others. The antimicrobial and antifungal properties of henna fight various scalp issues.
- By balancing the pH levels on your scalp and unclogging the pores, henna helps in promoting hair growth.
- Henna is a natural conditioner for your hair. The hydrating properties of henna keep your hair soft and smooth for longer.
- Those suffering from hair thinning should use henna as it helps strengthen hair roots and improves elasticity too.
- Henna removes excess oils on your hair scalp, unclogs the follicles and leads to new hair growth.
Henna is a natural hair dye and can benefit your hair in many ways. However, it might not work for everyone. To know if it works for you, do a patch test on your hair. If you don't get results, discontinue.
For more such beauty related stories, stay tuned!
Did you like this article ?
Your skin and body like you are unique. While we have taken all measures to ensure that the information provided in this article and on our social media channels is credible and expert verified, we recommend you consult a doctor or your dermatologist before trying a home remedy, quick hack or exercise regime. For any feedback or complaint, reach out to us at firstname.lastname@example.org