As the world, technologies and aspirations are changing our lifestyle is also changing very fast . Lifestyle includes what you eat, what you drink, how active you are, what time you wake up and what is your work-life balance and how well you handle stress situations etc. our lifestyle directly or indirectly affect our body and mind thus our health as whole fertility in man and woman depends on multiple factors, lifestyle is one of the very important factors which we could change with our willpower and awareness. We spoke to Dr Santosh Gupta, Fertility Consultant, Nova IVF Fertility, Bangaluru who explained in detail how different factors can affect fertility in humans and how they can be dealt with. Read on and find out all about it.
Factors That Affect The Fertility
What are some major lifestyle behaviours that affect fertility in males and females? As mentioned above, there are a wide variety of things and factors that impact one’s fertility. These days doctors see an increasing number of infertility cases because of the sedentary lifestyle that people have adopted. This sedentary lifestyle includes a lot of sitting, binge eating and reduced activity or exercise. Along with these factors, women and men have high-pressure jobs that need them to work round the clock which does not make things easier on them. Here are a few lifestyle behaviours that affect fertility in men and women:
- Lack of activity in this busy lifestyle affects men and women. Lack of activity in women can lead to many problems, and ovulation might stop being regular. In men, it might lead to low quality of sperm.
- Eating at short and regular intervals is not very healthy. Packaged foods and processed fats that are snacked are very unhealthy for the body and can lead to weight gain that will eventually lead to infertility in many cases.
- Taking a lot of stress and having constant anxiety due to either work/personal life is very unhealthy, as stress hormones often lead to women gaining weight. In situations like these, the brain gets confused about the surroundings and eventually, your menses are thrown off their schedule. For men, the quality and quantity of sperm can get affected.
- A bad sleeping pattern can negatively impact your fertility.
What Are Some Factors Impairing Effective Treatment Of Infertility?
Women who are obese and have a high Body Mass Index (BMI) have a lower chance of getting pregnant compared to women who have a normal body mass index. Fertility has a lot to do with what one eats. So, a person eating out a lot and having too much packaged and processed food can end up with fertility issues.
Consumption Of Alcohol Or Drugs Or Smoking
Excessive consumption of alcohol, drugs or smoking is extremely bad for the health, not only from the point of view of fertility but also in general. One can end up with lower sperm count and motility, lung damage and breathing issues, lung and other kinds of cancer.
Anxiety And Depression
Stress, anxiety, and depression release different hormones in the bloodstream. A study suggests that men and women suffering from any of mentioned conditions have a harder time getting pregnant and the pituitary gland sends a different signal to the ovaries and hence ovulation is either delayed or absent. Especially during treatment for fertility stress can hamper this process.
Lack Of Fitness
As mentioned earlier lack of activity and exercise can be very unhealthy and may cause delayed or absent ovulation. During treatment exercising for even 25-30 minutes can increase one's chances of conceiving and reduces chances of miscarriage.
Recommendations To Modify Lifestyle Behaviours
- One can take up yoga as yoga might help you get your cycle back to normal and have regular ovulation.
- Start exercising and try to reduce weight as reduced weight is the number one cure for this. Even 10% reduces weight may increase the chances of one conceiving.
- If advised by the doctor take pills as and when required.
- Start eating loads of vegetables as well as greens and increase intake of water. Reduce packeted foods.
- If you are a person who has an excessive intake of coffee and or alcohol, reduce it. Alcohols like beer start storing fat in the abdomen region which is not healthy for either males or females. It may hamper fertility.
- If one smokes excessively - they should stop as it can harm the baby or before conception can reduce the chances of conceiving.