Have you invested in an expensive pair of shoes but now you are finding it difficult to keep them in tip-top shape? Then, you have landed at the right place!
It would be an understatement to say that shoes are the unsung heroes of our day-to-day life. They are required almost everywhere to simply walk with.
Because of this reason, there are lots of different materials, finishes, and colors that you invest in, right? From your white sneakers, canvas shoes, formal leather shoes, to just your flip flops, there is a long list!
But have you ever thought of showing your love back to at least your favourite pair? No? Don’t forget that taking care of one’s shoes is more than just for hygiene, but it is also a sign of respect for oneself and their belongings.
So, today, we are going to tell you some tips and tricks that will help to keep your shoes looking good and last a bit longer. Trust us, by following these easy tricks, you will be a master at cleaning shoes!
Let’s get started!
Cleaning Fabric Or Canvas Shoes
Fabric shoes can get dirty very easily, after all, you wear them all the time! If you want to clean them then don’t just toss them in your washing machine. That hack can ruin your shoes as washers are extremely aggressive.
Instead, you can follow this method to get your fabric or canvas shoes squeaky clean! You don’t need an army of products, just some dishwashing detergent, warm water, baking soda, an old toothbrush, and your hands would do the deed.
- First, start by wiping down your fabric shoe with a dry towel, followed by using a wet towel. This will help in getting rid of all the excess dry dirt.
- Then, mix one teaspoon of dishwashing soap with two cups of warm water in a small bowl.
- Using a brush with firm bristles or a toothbrush, target on small sections and work with the grain of the fabric.
- We know, cleaning the soles of your shoes can also be tough. So, you can make a paste using equal parts of baking soda and water.
- Dip your brush in the paste and scrub the soles of your shoes gently.
- To remove any soapy or baking soda residue, wipe it off with a clean and wet towel.
- After that, let the shoe air dry. In order to retain their shape, you can stuff the shoes with extra paper or tissues after they have dried completely.
Cleaning Leather Shoes
Image Courtesy: The Leather Laundry
We know that Leather shoes are an investment. They can be worn for years, but keeping them clean is actually a task. Be it the original or faux leather shoes, they can get stained easily and are also prone to damage if you scrub too hard while cleaning. So, what is the best method that you need to follow? Read on!
- Start by mixing water and white vinegar to create a solution that will help you in cleaning your leather shoes.
- Then, dip a cloth in the solution and clean off the dirt by wiping your shoes with it.
- For scuffs that won't budge, use a commercial polish but if that is not possible because of the availability, then just dip a clean cloth in baking soda and give your shoes a good rub to get rid of any scuffs.
- If you are dealing with marks on patent leather and faux leather shoes, treat the affected areas with some petroleum jelly and gently rub with a soft dry cloth or a cotton swab.
- After that, allow the shoes to dry and then, buff again with a clean cloth.
Cleaning Suede Shoes
Image Courtesy: Pinterest
Everyone thinks Suede shoes are effortlessly cool to wear but they are definitely very difficult to keep clean and require regular care for looking their best.
- Suede shoes need to be kept as dry as possible as water can cause discoloration or damage the velvety texture.
- For cleaning them, you can use a soft brush to dust off any excess dirt. Also, remember to work in the same direction as the suede rather than going against the material.
- For small scuffs or marks, you can easily use a clean block eraser to buff them out.
- For other larger and more stubborn spots, use a microfiber cloth dipped in white vinegar and rub it gently to lift out the stain.
- Then, allow the shoes to air dry completely but not under direct heat or sunlight.
- When they are completely dry, brush the surface again to smooth the area and restore its original texture.
In this COVID-era, flips-flops deserve a special mention in every footwear talk, right? You might be wearing this comfortable footwear a lot these days but have they turned black with your footprint? Don’t worry, we have got the solution for cleaning them!
- Start the cleaning process by running your flip-flops under warm water.
- While they are still wet, sprinkle some baking soda all over and let it sit for about 5-7 minutes.
- After that, start scrubbing the baking soda off with a soft scrubbing brush or an old toothbrush.
- If some stubborn stains are still left, you can also use dishwashing liquid to scrub after rinsing off the baking soda.
- You can let them air dry or can wipe them with a clean cloth.
Which of these cleaning tips and tricks are you going to try? Do share your thoughts with us on our Facebook page. For more such stories, stay tuned to HerZindagi!
Did you like this article ?
Your skin and body like you are unique. While we have taken all measures to ensure that the information provided in this article and on our social media channels is credible and expert verified, we recommend you consult a doctor or your dermatologist before trying a home remedy, quick hack or exercise regime. For any feedback or complaint, reach out to us at email@example.com