Poha is one of the most loved breakfast options in India. It is prepared all across with a lot of variations. Poha is beaten rice or rice flakes which are light, perfect for breakfast and usually given a savoury flavour.
If you love this breakfast recipe but haven't yet cracked its recipe then this article is for you. We will quickly take you through the mistakes you might be making while preparing your poha and some tips and tricks which will help you make delicious, soft poha at home. Read on.
Mistakes To Avoid While Making Poha
- Make sure you don't squeeze out all the water from the poha after washing it. If some water is left in the rice flakes, it will help make the poha soft and fluffy. Also, if you strain all the water, your poha will become dry.
- Do not continue to cook poha after adding lemon juice to it because then its taste will turn bitter. Squeeze lemon juice only when the poha is ready to serve.
- When cooking the poha, make sure you are very gentle with the ladle or you will end up breaking the poha.
- Cook poha on low flame after adding all the ingredients to it. Poha doesn't have any flavour of its own so it can take time to absorb the flavour of all the spices.
- Never over wash the poha or it can get all mushy.
Tips To Make Soft And Fluffy Poha
No one really likes their poha dry. To turn your poha soft and fluffy, here are some tips you should follow -
- Always rinse your poha with water and then leave it in the strainer to strain. The poha should have enough moisture when you use it to cook.
- If your poha feels hard and dry while cooking, sprinkle some water over it and cover it with a lid. This will help moisten it.
- Timing is very important while you are preparing your poha. Make sure you don't overcook the poha or it can lose its moisture.
How To Make Perfect Poha?
Though there are a variety of poha recipes to try today, we will share the traditional, easy poha recipe with you which you can prepare in minutes and enjoy anytime.
Ingredients Required -
- Mustard Seeds
- Cumin Seeds
- Curry Leaves
- Green Chillies
- Asafoetida Or Hing
- Turmeric Powder
- Poha Or Rice Flakes
- Coriander Leaves
- Salt To Taste
- Water As Required
- In a strainer, take some poha and rinse with water. Let the water strain out. Keep aside for 5-10 minutes.
- In a pan, add some oil, chopped potato and cook on medium flame.
- In the same oil, add peanuts and saute.
- Next, add mustard seeds, cumin seeds, chopped green chillies, curry leaves and let them crackle.
- Sprinkle asafoetida and chopped onions. Cook till they turn soft.
- Add turmeric powder and saute the mix. You can also skip this step if you don't like yellow coloured poha.
- Now add poha, salt and mix well.
- Adding a pinch of sugar will add great flavour to your poha.
- Splash some water over poha and cover with lid. Cook on low flame for 5 minutes.
- Mix well and serve.
We hope these tips and tricks help you make perfect poha at home. For more such recipes and tips, stay tuned!
Did you like this article ?
Your skin and body like you are unique. While we have taken all measures to ensure that the information provided in this article and on our social media channels is credible and expert verified, we recommend you consult a doctor or your dermatologist before trying a home remedy, quick hack or exercise regime. For any feedback or complaint, reach out to us at firstname.lastname@example.org