Blood Pressure is one of the most common health issues across the globe. Workload and stress are the major culprits of high blood pressure aka hypertension. If not controlled on time, it can lead to heart attacks and turn fatal. Aside from medicines, there are several simple and effective way to combat this disease. One of the ways is by including some yoga in your daily regime. Here are 5 yoga poses that you can perform and tame your BP issues.
Bridge pose, also known as Setu Bandha Sarvangasana, calms our brain and body. Also, it is very effective for toning the thigh muscles and glutes.
- Lie flat on your back, with your knees bent and feet hip-width apart. Your palms should be facing downward.
- Press the feet into the floor, take a deep breathe in and gently lift your hips.
- Now, take support from arms and shoulders and lift your chest.
- Hold this position for a few seconds, then relax.
Legs-up-the-wall which is also known as Viparita Karani. It is a restorative yoga posture that allows the mind and body to relax, relieving stress and tension.
- Lie flat on your back, close to the wall sideways.
- Raise your legs up and rest them on the wall with your head on the ground.
- Make sure your shoulders and hips are in line and form a 90-degree angle.
- Hold this position for as long as you can and then relax.
Corpse pose, also known as Shavasana, relaxes the central nervous system and gives body cells an opportunity to really permeate the fresh oxygenated blood, thus relaxes our mind and muscles. Apart from lowering blood pressure, it relieves stress and depression too.
- Lie flat on the mat with your hands and feet wide apart.
- Now, close your eyes and take deep breaths. Concentrate on your breaths and relax your mind.
- Stay in this posture for 5 minutes then relax.
Downward Facing Dog
Downward facing dog which is also known as Adho Mukha Svanasana. It focuses on back muscles, hamstrings, spine and quadriceps. Aside from blood pressure related problems, it also prevents osteoporosis, prevents indigestion, fatigue, insomnia, etc.
- Begin in mountain pose.
- Push into your palms and lift hips towards the sky.
- Press into the heels so as to get them as flat to the ground as possible.
- Look at your feet and press your chest towards the thighs to ensure a flat back.
Head-to-Knee Forward Bend
This is one of the best poses for people who are suffering from BP problems. It also calms the brain and boosts digestive health.
- Sit on the floor with your legs straight in front of you.
- Bend your right knee, squeeze your knee and place it on your left thigh.
- While exhaling, bend forward and grab your left foot.
- Inhale and extend your spine. Look forward and exhale, pulling the head of your left thigh bone back into your hip.
- Hold this position as long as you can, and then return to your original position.
So, ditch those medicines and combat blood pressure with these yoga poses. Stay tuned to Herzindagi for more such articles.