From jogging to running and cardio to yoga, there is an abundance of options at your disposal, if you wish to lose weight. There might be many people who do not wish to engage in heavy exercises, either due to age or health issues. If you belong to this bracket of people, fret no more, as an efficient weight loss solution is here for you. All you need to do is, perform intermittent or interval walking for a set duration of time. Now, you might have heard of intermittent fasting for weight loss, but what exactly is intermittent walking? Read on to know what it is and how to efficiently practice it.
What Is Intermittent Walking?
As the name suggests, intermittent walking is made up of walking in intervals. For the first interval you need to do a brisk walk, while for the second interval you need to slow down your pace. Each interval is timed to keep your energy and exhaustion levels balanced. This way of walking will for sure burn more calories, which in turn will help in quicker weight loss.
The example of interval walking would be better illustrated with the steps given below.
Don't Miss: Tips To Make Your Diet Healthy But Fun
How To Start Interval Walking
- Step 1- Before beginning the workout, perform a 5-minute warm up to prepare your muscles. It could include stretching or light exercises, which puts you in the workout mode.
- Step 2- Now start walking and tread at a fast pace for 30 seconds.
- Step 3- As you begin walking fast, you will experience your heartbeat getting faster and breathing going deeper.
- Step 4- After 30 seconds, switch to your normal pace and practice moderate walking for 2 minutes and 30 seconds.
- Step 5- All of this compiled together, forms the first set.
- Step 6- Practice this set 5-6 times more.
- Step 7- Once done, make sure you give yourself a proper rest for 5 minutes. This will allow your body to cool down at its natural pace and prevent sore msucles.
Don't Miss: Incredible Benefits Of Jamun Vinegar For Health
Practice Advanced Interval Walking Program
If you have been practicing interval walking for quite some time now, you are ready to make variations to it. Make sure you proceed to advanced intermittent walking, only after mastering the beginner’s level. In order to add more resistance to the workout, you can follow the below given tips.
- Squeeze Down Moderate Walking Periods- The 30-second moderate walking intervals, which are basically designed to give you some rest while walking, can be squeezed down to make the workout strenuous. You can reduce it to 20 seconds, post which you can practice 2 minutes and 30 seconds of high intensity walking.
- Add inclination- If possible, walk on a slope, hill or inclined pathway. Inclination requires more energy and makes you burn more fat.
- Add jogging- While performing the 30-seconds of moderate walking, burst into slight jogging. Tread very slowly but keep moving ahead. Slow jogging will keep your muscles worked up but will also provide enough time to recover.
Try and include this variation of walking in your workout regime, for a quicker and efficient weight loss process.
For more such fitness tips and information, stay tuned to HerZindagi.com