Have you ever been tempted to buy any silver jewellery item but then you didn’t because it begins to lose its luster and shine with time? Then, you’ve got to read this article.
Nowadays, silver jewellery has found its place in the segment of new-age jewellery. Why? Because of its beautiful metallic white feel and shine, and of course, its affordability than classic gold.
But unlike gold, silver tends to lose its shine over time. Why? Tarnish is the main culprit here! It is usually of yellowish or greenish-black colour but it also depends on how long the jewellery has been left alone.
Tarnish is actually a result of the chemical reaction between silver and sulphur in the air, which is unavoidable. But that’s not all! Soaps, Perfumes, and moisturizers also add to this issue.
Now, you must be wondering that how can we solve this problem? It’s very simple, you must clean your silver jewellery regularly.
Don’t worry, we are going to tell you some solutions to clean your beautiful silver jewellery and with just a few household items. So, let’s get started, shall we?
Aluminium Foil And Baking Soda
This is one of the best and easy ways to clean silver jewellery. Not only this method reverses the yellow or black tarnish effect but it is also inexpensive.
- First, take a large bowl and cover its entire surface with aluminum foil and keep the shiny side up. Also, make sure that you use a ceramic, or glass bowl and not a metal one as it can cause chemical reactions.
- Then, fill the bowl with boiling water.
- Add 1/4 cup of baking soda to the water and stir it gently. Expect that this mix may bubble and froth a bit.
- Next, place your tarnished silver jewellery in the bowl and do ensure that it is touching the aluminum foil. This step is very important for the chemical reaction to occur.
- Let it stay in the solution for 1 minute to 5 minutes depending on the condition of your jewellery.
- Remove the jewellery from the bowl and buff it with a soft lint-free cloth to remove any remaining tarnish.
Who knew toothpaste can be used to clean silver jewellery? It is indeed a very versatile product!
Though, it can do wonders to your jewellery but you need to first make sure that it is not a whitening formula as that product can ruin your silver jewellery.
- Take a pea-sized amount of your regular toothpaste to a wet soft-bristled brush.
- Gently use the brush on the jewellery piece.
- Then, finally, rinse the jewellery with water and let it air dry.
Dishwashing Soap And Water
If you own fine silver jewelry with diamonds or other precious gems, then this can be your go-to cleaning method! This serves the purpose of gentle cleaning so it won’t harm your precious jewellery.
- Start by taking a bowl filled with warm water.
- Then, add the liquid dishwashing soap and mix it until the foam is visible.
- Soak your dirty silver jewellery in the bowl for 7-10 minutes. This will loosen all the dust particles and grime.
- Now, using a soft-bristle brush gently wipe off any remaining dirt.
- After that, take another bowl filled with warm water and rinse the jewellery in it.
- Take the jewellery item out from the bowl and gently dry it with a microfiber towel. This method will bring back the shine of your jewellery and it also smells great! Isn’t it great?
Which of these tricks are you going to try? Do share your thoughts with us on our Facebook page. For more such stories, stay tuned to HerZindagi!
Did you like this article ?
Your skin and body like you are unique. While we have taken all measures to ensure that the information provided in this article and on our social media channels is credible and expert verified, we recommend you consult a doctor or your dermatologist before trying a home remedy, quick hack or exercise regime. For any feedback or complaint, reach out to us at firstname.lastname@example.org