The Kapoor Family is also known as ‘The First Family Of Indian Cinema’ is not only the largest family in the industry but has been around for over 93 years now, with 5 generations involved in the film industry and other creative stuff. Although there is no one who doesn’t know about this family in India, people are often confused about their family members. This family is almost like a real dynasty and therefore here we are, to take through the entire family tree details.
Prithviraj Kapoor was the son of Basheshwarnath Kapoor and was the first member of the Kapoor family to enter the film industry. He was born in the year 1906 in Punjab and then 17 years later, in 1923, he married 14 y/o Ramsarni Malhotra. They had three sons Raj Kapoor, Shammi Kapoor, Shashi Kapoor Urmila, and two other children who died in infancy.
Raj Kapoor was born in 1924 and one of the most renowned actors, directors, and producers in the country. He was the eldest of the six children of Prithviraj Kapoor. He had two brothers Shammi and Shahi and sister Urmila Sial and other two of his siblings had passed away in infancy. Raj Kapoor was married to Krishna Kapoor and had 5 children including Randhir, Ritu, Rishi, Reema, and Rajiv Kapoor.
Shammi Kapoor was born on 21st October 1931 and was a director whose work was widely celebrated across the country. After giving many hit films and winning many awards, Kapoor married Geeta Bali in 1955. In 1965, Bali died due to smallpox and Shammi then tied a knot with Neila Devi, however, the marriage lasted only for four years before they broke up. Shammi Kapoor passed away in 2011 due to chronic kidney failure. Shammi also had two children with Geeta Bali, Aditya Raj Kapoor, and Kanchan.
Shashi Kapoor was an actor/producer who was born in 1938 he was also one of the gems of Indian cinema which is why he was regarded very highly. He got married to Jennifer Kendal and had three children with her Kunal, Karan, and Sanjana Kapoor.
Raj Kapoor’s Children
Raj Kapoor’s children were Randhir Kapoor, Ritu Kapoor, Rishi Kapoor, Reema Kapoor & Rajiv Kapoor.
- Randhir Kapoor is married to Babita and has two daughters, Karisma and Kareena. Karisma was married to Sanjay Kapur and has two kids, Samaira Kapoor and Kiaan Raj Kapoor, and Kareena is married to Saif Ali Khan, and they have a son, Taimur. The couple is also expecting their second child who is due to arrive anytime this month.
- The eldest daughter of Raj Kapoor, Ritu Nanda, was married to Escorts Chairman Rajan Nanda and has one son, Nikhil Nanda, and a daughter Nitasha Nanda. Her son is married to Shweta Bachchan, Amitabh, and Jaya Bachchan's elder daughter, and has two children, Navya Naveli Nanda and Agastya Nanda. Ritu Nanda's daughter, Nitasha is unmarried and is helping her brother Nikhil take care of their family business after their father's demise in 2018.
- Rishi Kapoor was married to Neetu Kapoor with two children Riddhima Kapoor Sahani and Ranbir Kapoor. Riddhima is married to a Delhi-based businessman, Bharat Sawhney. She works as a jewellery designer and has a daughter named Samara.
- Rima Jain married businessman Manoj Jain, and they have two children, aspiring actors Armaan Jain and Aadar Jain. Armaan has now moved into the hospitality business after opening his own food delivery chain, Kitchen Tales after his not so heartwarming attempt in Bollywood. He married his longtime girlfriend, Anissa Malhotra in 2019 in the presence of the entire Kapoor family. Aadar, on the other hand, is still part of Bollywood and is dating actress Tara Sutaria of the Student of the Year 2 fame.
- Rajeev Kapoor, who died of a heart attack on February 09, married his longtime girlfriend and live-in partner, Aarti Sabharwal, who was an architect in 2001. However, the two soon parted ways in the year 2003, post which Aarti shifted her base to Canada. They have no children.
Shammi Kapoor’s Children
Shammi Kapoor had two children with his first wife, Aditya Raj Kapoor, and Kanchan.
- Aditya Raj Kapoor was initially an actor and had also worked in several movies including Mumbai 118, Sambar Salsa, Dil Toh Baccha Hai Ji, and others. He later also ventured into business and filmmaking. Currently, he is retired and living in Mumbai with his wife Preeti Kapoor and children Tulsi Kapoor and Vishwa Pratap Kapoor.
- Whereas his sister, Kanchan, is married to famed producer Manmohan Desai’s son, Ketan Desai who also happens to be a film producer. Together they have two children, Raj Rajeshwari Desai and Pooja Desai.
Shashi Kapoor’s Children
As we already told you, Shashi Kapoor was married to his love interest Jennifer Kendal and together had three children with her, Kunal Kapoor, Karan Kapoor, and Sanjana Kapoor. And despite trying to get into acting through Bollywood, none of them made it big in the industry.
- Kunal Kapoor made his debut through ‘Siddhartha’ but his unsuccessful attempts made him choose advertising as his profession. He later established his own company and now is a film director and producer. He has produced movies like Singh is Bling. He was married to a famous Indian director and producer, Ramesh Sippy’s daughter, Sheena Sippy (but the two were later separated). They have two children Shaira Laura Kapoor and Zahan Prithviraj Kapoor.
- Moving on to Karan Kapoor, who was also known as the ‘Bombay Dyeing Man’, 20 years back. He is a renowned photographer and resides in Mumbai. He married Lorna Kapoor and has two children named Aliya and Zak Kapoor.
- Last but not the least, the youngest of them all was Sanjana Kapoor who is an Indian theatre artist and runs the Prithvi Theatre in Mumbai. She was earlier married to Aditya Bhattacharya, son of filmmaker Basu Bhattacharya but the two parted their ways. Later, Sajana tied her knot with Natural Historian and wildlife filmmaker and photographer, Valmik Thapar, they both have a son called Hamir Thapar.
The Kapoor Haveli
Talking about the Kapoor family we definitely cannot miss out on the famous Kapoor Haveli. This residential palace was built by Prithviraj Kapoor’s father, Dewan Basheswarnath Kapoor in the year 1918 to 1922, before the partition of India. It is currently a part of Peshawar, Pakistan, and post the Kapoors shifted to Mumbai in 1930, their frequent visits to the home in Peshawar ended in 1947.
The house was auctioned and bought by a jeweller from Chadrassa town in the North West Frontier Province and was later sold to a local resident of Peshawar. The top two stories of the haveli were demolished by the owners due to cracks because of the earthquakes.
In 2018, the Pakistan Government decided to convert their ancestral home to a museum on request by Rishi Kapoor. But the current owner of the house is adamant about building a commercial complex at that location despite the pressure from the government.
If you liked reading this article then stay tuned to Her Zindagi for more such pieces.
(Image Courtesy: Pinterest, iwnbuzz.com, ytimg.com, dreshare.com, reviewit.pk, treeoption128.com, boxofficeindia.com, nripulse.com, desimartini.co, gulfnews.com, )