Rice are a staple in most Indian households.It's one of the most commonly consumed foods, and thus one of the most cooked. However, there are days when rice are cooked in excess and unfortunately gets wasted. To avoid this, we've compiled a list of simple yet tasty recipes that you can prepare with leftover rice, saving you both time and effort.
For a long time, this south Indian treat has been one of our favourite leftover rice meals. Curd, mustard seeds, curry leaves, and rice are all you need to prepare this dish. Here's the recipe:
- Toss in the asafetida and mustard seeds.
- Once the seeds crackle, add Kashmiri dry red chilies, Green chilies, Chana dal, Urad dal and Salt to taste. Sauté for 1 minute.
- Slowly pour the curd into the pan, stirring constantly as you pour it. Otherwise, it will begin to curdle. Reduce the flame of the gas,
- Now add the cooked rice and stir well. Turn off the gas. Garnish with chopped coriander leaves.
Vegetable Fried Rice
- Vegetable fried rice is a really simple and easy meal that only requires a couple of chopped vegetables and leftover rice. Here's how to make it:
- Take 1 tbsp oil, garlic, and chilli on a pan. Sauté.
- Then add carrots, baby corn, green beans and cabbage. Saute and add sesame oil.
- Then, add the rice.
- Season it with salt and pepper and soy sauce. You can also add optional wine for an enhanced taste. Cook for a minute.
- Garnished with some chopped spring onion greens and serve hot.
- Go creative and taste the delight with the rice Pakora. You can eat it as a tea-time snack. Here's the recipe:
- Mix gram flour, cooked rice paste, onion, coriander, salt and green chilly to make a smooth paste.
- Take a kadhai and heat oil.
- Now drop scoops of batter into the hot oil to deep fry. Heat in medium flame.
- Once they turn golden brown, take them out of the kadhai and serve them.
Leftover Rice Dosa
- You can make wholesome and tasty breakfast with your leftover rice. For this, make a smooth rice paste. Here is the method to make dosa:
- Put cooked rice, curd, salt, half an onion in a grinder and grind them together to make a smooth paste.
- Add some water if batter becomes thick.
- Now, using vegetable oil, grease a non- stick pan.
- Take scoops of batter and spread them evenly on the pan.
- Cook it over medium heat till the dosa base turns golden and crisp.
- Take it out and serve it however you like.
(pic credit: firstcry)
Rice Pancakes are another delight made with leftover rice paste. Here's the recipe of this:
- Combine leftover rice and curd in a big bowl and let aside overnight.
- Make a paste of the mixture the next morning by grinding it thoroughly.
- Stir in the green chillies, coriander leaves, cumin powder, chilli powder, and salt.
- Pour a little oil into a hot pan.
- Take a scoop of batter and spoon it into the pan, spreading it out evenly.
- Fry the opposite side after 4-5 minutes. Serve pancakes hot.
Try these recipes and share your thoughts with us. For more such stories, stay tuned to HerZindagi!