How To Make Veg Laphing At Home With Perfection?
Learn to make veg. laphing from start to end with perfection.
Veg. laphing is a popular Tibetan street food that you can't stop eating once you've had a taste of. It's a cold, spicy noodle that's popular in northeast India as a snack. This cold noodle is prepared with starch from moong dal, potato, or wheat flour, then marinated overnight in a spicy mixture of soy sauce, red chilli, salt, vinegar, garlic, oil, and other ingredients. These noodles are packed with your choice of veg or non-veg contents, sliced into medium-sized pieces, and served with a spicy sauce.
If you appreciate Tibetan food like momos, you'll love the taste of veg. laphing, another delicacy from Tibet. This simple guide will show you how to prepare the delicious vegetable laphing at home with perfection.
How To Make Laphing Dough?
- All Purpose Flour
- Begin by combining the refined flour and salt.
- Then transfer it to a bowl and drizzle with some oil.
- Mix thoroughly until the oil blends well.
- To form the dough, keep adding a little water and knead it.
- After kneading the dough thoroughly, you will see a soft dough, which will prepare softer laphing.
- Cover the laphing dough and let it rest for around 20 minutes.
- Once the dough looks ready, place it in a container with enough water to cover it. It will separate the starch and gluten.
- Then rigorously squeeze the dough in water. You’ll see starch and gluten has started separating.
- Now cover the starch water for around 2 hours. Keep the gluten aside and use it for the fillings.
How To Make Fillings?
- Wash the gluten dough once again in the running water.
- Add 1/2 teaspoon of yeast or baking powder to the dough.
- Then give it a good mix and let it rest for 10 minutes.
- Now, Place the gluten on a steamer tray coated with oil and cook for 15-20 minutes.
- This light and fluffy gluten bread will be ready to use as a filling.
How To Make Chilli Paste?
- Red Chilli Powder
- Sichuan Pepper
- AjinoMoto (Optional)
- Cooking oil
- Take 4-5 cloves of chopped garlic, salt, Sichuan pepper, 3 tsp of red chilli powder, ajino moto and water.
- Mix it well and add 100ml heated oil to it. The chilli paste will be ready.
Making The Wrapper
- Turmeric powder
- Cooking oil
- The water and starch should have separated from the batter by now. Carefully drain the water. (Keep a small amount of water with the starch.)
- Next, strain the starch to remove any gluten.
- To the starch solution, add 1/2 teaspoon turmeric or yellow food colouring.
- Mix it thoroughly before adding additional oil and mix it again. The batter will be ready.
- Now, grease a plate with some oil and add a decent amount of batter to it.
- Carefully place it on the steamer. Let it cook for 4-5 minutes.
- After 4-5 mins, take out the plate, let it cool in the cold water and with the help of a spoon or knife pass it under the edges to take out the wrapper. The wrapper is all ready.
The Final Step
- Put a wrapper on a flat surface and spread 1 tsp of chilli paste on it.
- Then add gluten bread, salt, soy sauce and vinegar.
- Mix well and make a roll.
- Then cut it into equal even pieces. Your delicious snack is ready.
Tip To Remember- If your laphing wrappers crack, make sure to let the starch rest for longer next time. keeping overnight is the best solution to it.
For more such recipes and tips, stay tuned to HerZindagi!