What is better than having a piping hot plate of makki ki roti and sarson da saag on a cold winter day? This amazing combination is loved by everyone. It is the truth that everyone enjoys sarson da saag only with makki ki roti but it is difficult to make it perfect.
If you are not able to make makki ki roti properly and it keeps breaking, then we are here to help you. Today, we are here to share some tips and tricks by Chef Eshaan Nagpal (founder, Indian Bawarchi). By following these simple tricks, you can make the perfect makki ki roti in a few minutes and enjoy it. So get ready to make makki ki roti with these tricks.
View this post on Instagram
How To Knead Dough
- Whenever you are preparing to make makki ki roti, the most important step for you is to knead the dough. If you don’t knead the dough properly, then the roti might break and it doesn’t get cooked properly.
- For making makki ki roti, always use yellow coloured maize flour. Never use cornstarch for this.
- Always knead the dough using hot water. Kneading the dough with hot water makes the rotis flexible and it is easy to roll them. However, the use of hot water depends upon the type of flour. If the flour is a bit coarse, then hot water is the best option.
- To knead the dough, add water little by little in the beginning and then cover the dough for 5 minutes after kneading. This way the flour absorbs the water and the rotis become soft.
How To Roll Makki Ki Roti
- When you are going to roll this dough, knead the dough once again just before rolling it. This will make it easy to roll out your roti.
- While rolling the rotis, apply some oil or ghee on the hands and again, grease the dough with some water. This way, the dough will not stick to your hands while pressing or flattening the roti.
Chef's Special Tricks
- If you have trouble rolling rotis, then use thick polythene. Place the polythene on a plain surface, then keep the ball of the dough in the centre and roll it out. This way your rotis will be rolled easily.
- If you find it difficult to knead and roll it, then add some wheat flour to the dough. This will allow you to easily knead the dough and you can roll out your rotis perfectly.
- Cook the roti on low flame from both sides, then add butter or oil and cook on medium flame.
Avoid These Mistakes
- Never heat the pan on a high flame to bake the rotis. Always keep your pan on a low and medium flame as these rotis are a bit thick and they will remain raw from inside if cooked on high flame.
- Do not make rotis immediately after kneading the dough. Keep it covered for at least 10 minutes.
- Do not add too much water at once to knead the dough. Add water little by little.
- The rotis should always be rolled with light hands. This way the rotis will not break.
Everybody knows the basic ingredients to make makki ki roti. However, we are here to tell you some secret ingredients that will instantly lift up the flavour of your makki ki roti. You can add ajwain, methi and green chillies.
These ingredients are not at all necessary but you can add these according to your liking. Apart from the flavour, ajwain can also help you with digestion. These ingredients will make your roti irresistible and add to the fragrance of the dish.
Don't Miss: 3 Easiest And Tastiest Veg Momos Recipes
How To Make
- Take a bowl. Add maize flour and salt to it.
- Start adding water little by little and prepare a dough. Make sure to use hot water.
- Leave the dough covered for 5-10 minutes.
- Take some portion from the dough and make a small ball.
- Place this ball in the centre of plastic polythene.
- Now, roll the rotis with light hands and put it on the pan to cook.
- Make sure to cook it on low flame from both sides. Then, add butter or oil and cook on medium flame.
- Your makki ki roti is ready. Serve it hot with butter.
We all love the combination of makki ki roti with sarson da saag. However, this is not the only way to eat it. Here is a secret way to enjoy makki ki roti.
Take a small pan, add some powdered jaggery and ghee. Mix it together and remove it from the flame after 5 minutes. Now, enjoy this jaggery mixture with makki ki roti and I’m sure you’ll be a fan. Whenever makki ki roti and sarson da saag is made in our house, my father makes this jaggery mixture and we enjoy it together.
Did you like this article ?
Your skin and body like you are unique. While we have taken all measures to ensure that the information provided in this article and on our social media channels is credible and expert verified, we recommend you consult a doctor or your dermatologist before trying a home remedy, quick hack or exercise regime. For any feedback or complaint, reach out to us at firstname.lastname@example.org