Back combing or hair teasing is one of the easiest ways to give your hair volume. This tried and tested hair hack helps achieve instant lift and volume. Though back combing is a technique commonly done for most hairstyles, it has a bad reputation. If not done correctly, back combing can lead to hair damage and breakage.
If you wish to learn the art of backcombing without damaging your hair, this quick guide is for you.
Prep Your Hair First
If you want that voluminous lift for your tresses, begin with prepping your hair. First, wash your hair with a shampoo. You can pick a voluminising shampoo or just go for a regular shampoo which helps cleanse your hair scalp well. Follow with a conditioner. Use a conditioner through the length of your hair. Keep for a few minutes and then rinse.
Use a hair serum or gel to smoothen out and detangle your hair. Make sure you evenly distribute the product on your hair
Blow Dry Your Hair
The trick to create that volume is to blow dry your hair upside down. Set the hair dryer at a low temperature and then dry your hair upside down.
Section Your Hair For Back Combing
What area of your hair do you want to backcomb? The crown area or the whole head? Depending on the same, section your hair.
- For instance, if you wish to back comb the crown area. Pull the front section of your hair and hold straight up.
- Use a brush or a fine tooth comb to tease your hair. Place your brush about halfway between your the ends and hair roots and firmly use brush strokes downwards towards the scalp. Repeat a few times till you see a lift in your hair.
- Don't get scared seeing your hair at this point, they may might look wild but you can comb it back and set it on place easily.
- Use a normal brush or comb to brush out the top layer of your hair. Make sure the pressure is very light or you will lose the volume.
- Blend the hair together to hide the hair you have back combed.
- Finish off with a hair spray to set your hair in place.