Vishnu Sahasranama is an ancient script that literally translates to thousand names of Lord Vishnu. 'Sahasra' means thousand and 'nama' means name. Lord Vishnu is believed to be the preserver, the one who saves. It is said that one of the easiest ways to pay respect to the Lord is by reciting mantras, strotras, and shlokas.
Lord Vishnu is believed to be the supreme power who rules the entire universe, the one who saves life. The Vishnu Sahasranama or Strotra is written by Sankskrit scholar Sage Vyasa who has written epics like Ramayana, Mahabharata and Bhagwat Gita.
Chanting the Vishnu Sahasranama is said to be highly beneficial. We talked to Astrologer Sonia Malik and asked her about the benefits of reading the Strotra and more about the ancient Strotra. Read on.
What Are The Benefits Of Reading The Vishnu Sahasranama?
- If you are suffering from insomnia, see bad dreams every night while sleeping or have a fear in your mind then reading the strotra helps you fight them all. Reading it helps you have a peaceful mind.
- Those suffering from childlessness in their house should read the Vishnu Sahasranama everyday.
- Chanting the Vishnu Sahasranama calms down your mind and sharpens your focus in life. Reading every name of Lord Vishnu helps you boost your inner energies which further increases your focus. This helps you meditate better.
- Astrologically, if a person has a weak Lord Sun in the horoscope chart then reading this can help in making it stronger.
- Children who are weak in their studies or wish to improve their learning power should chant the strotra everyday.
- Chanting the strotra is also believed to help you overcome all the financial difficulties you are facing and bring you good wealth.
What Is The Right Time To Read The Vishnu Sahasranama?
It is best to read the strotra in the morning after you have taken a bath. However, if you wish to read it later in the day then the best time would be in the evening between 5-7 pm. Chanting the strotra before going to sleep is also said to be beneficial.
What Is The Right Way Of Chanting The Vishnu Sahasranama?
Though you can chant the strotra wearing any colour of clothes, it is best to wear something in yellow. It is believed that yellow colour is Lord Vishnu's favourite. While chanting it, make sure you sit on a woolen asana.
Astrologer Sonia Malik also shared that while chanting the strotra, one must keep a 'jal kalash' or a glass of water in the temple or puja area. One can also offer fruits, dry fruits, or a yellow sweet dish as bhog while reciting it. After one finishes reading, they must drink the water and distribute the food to their family members as prasad.
There are 108 shlokas in the Vishnu Sahasranama. Even if you find it difficult to read then even listening to it can be really beneficial.
Reciting the Vishnu Sahasranama indeed has numerous benefits and one must make it a part of their life to set themselves free from any fear and move towards a healthier and happier life. For more such stories related to astrology, stay tuned!