How To Clean Woolen Clothes At Home
Here is an easy guide to wash and dry your woolen clothes at home during winter season.
Washing woolen clothes isn't an easy task. The material is quite delicate and that's one reason why most of us find it better to take them to the dry cleaner. However, getting all your woolen clothes dry cleaned from time to time can cost you a lot of bucks. Right?
So, we thought of bringing you an easy guide to wash woolen clothes at home.
How To Clean Woolen Clothes At Home?
Hand Washing Woolen Clothes
Begin With Spot Cleaning
A lot of woolen clothes are stain resistant. However, none of us enjoys a stain on our clothing. If there is a light spot here and there, it can be easily cleansed at home. It is best to spot clean once in a while to completely get rid of the stain.
Dip a sponge in a mild detergent and gently dab on the stain. Wash the area with normal water. Let it dry. Repeat till the stain completely goes away.
Wash Woolen Clothes By Hand
- To prevent woolen clothes from shrinking or turning rough, wash them by hand. Here is your guide -
- In a bucket, add lukewarm water and mild detergent.
- Put in the garment and gently swish it in water for about a minute.
- Let the garment soak in for about 10 minutes.
- Remove the garment and wash with normal water to get rid of all the soap.
- Repeat again if the soap remains.
- Gently squeeze out the water.
- Lay flat to dry.
Machine Washing Woolen Clothes
While washing woolen clothes in a washing machine can slightly effect their quality, it is the easiest way to clean them. So, if you wish to clean your woolen garments in a washing machine, follow this guide -
- Turn the woolen cloth inside out and place it in the washing machine filled with water.
- Change the washing machine setting to delicate cycle.
- Make sure the water you are using is cold and the spin is on low.
- Being too harsh can make your woolen clothes shrink.
- Add the required amount of mild woolen clothes shampoo.
- Once done, remove from the washing machine.
- Dry in the washing machine on low setting or lay the clothes flat to air dry.
How To Dry Woolen Clothes?
- Always dry your woolen garments flat. This will prevent them from stretching.
- After laying the cloth flat on a counter, top it with a towel to soak in the moisture.
- Remove the towel and then lay the garment in the sun and let it naturally air dry.
Things To Keep In Mind
Check For The Label
Before washing any woolen cloth, check the label of the clothing. Does the garment say it can be hand washed? If yes, wash it at home. However, some garments are especially structured and can't cleansed at home like some blazers and jackets. These need to be dry cleaned and should be taken to the dry cleaner to prevent any damage to the garment.
Do Not Use Harsh Soaps, Too Much Heat
While washing your woolen clothes, make sure you are extremely gentle. Wool is extremely delicate and being too harsh, using a extreme hot water or washing with a chemical loaded soap can damage the garment. Look for mild soaps which are specifically used for woolen clothes.
Gently Squeeze Out Water
After washing your woolen clothes, make sure you aren't too harsh on them to wring out the water. Gently squeeze out the water or you can end up making the garment stretched.
We hope this guide helps you wash your woolen clothes well at home during this season and you manage to save some bucks. For more such tips, stay tuned!