Paneer snacks rule our hearts, don’t you think?
This humble ingredient has a huge fan base in India and why shouldn’t be? Paneer or cottage cheese is so versatile - be it kebabs, tikkas, pakodas, popcorns, paneer can take over a platter of snacks in any way.
And to top it all, paneer is also a good source of protein. Vegetarians, we hear you!
So, today, we have got three easy paneer snacks that you can try at home. You can make these snacks in under 30 minutes and with less effort. And fret not, your loved ones will love these delicious recipes, too.
So, what are you waiting for? Read on!
Image Courtesy: Pinterest
If you are looking for an easy recipe with an Indo-Chinese twist, then this recipe is for you!
Garlic paneer is delicious garlic flavoured quick paneer snack which can be prepared in less time and with less effort. It can be made in under 20 minutes, trust us!
This paneer starter is served hot and you can enjoy it in the freezing winters. Also, it is such a versatile snack, you can have it as a starter for your parties, a morning or evening snack, use it as a filling for your Kathi rolls, or enjoy it with fried rice or noodles. Its kick of spice will give you the feels!
If you are wondering how can you prepare this recipe in 15-20 minutes, then this is what we are here for. Follow this recipe and enjoy this yummy paneer snack at your home!
- 220-240 grams of paneer (cottage cheese)
- 1 medium onion (chopped)
- 1/2 capsicum (chopped)
- 6 large garlic cloves
- 1 teaspoon of vinegar
- 4-5 kashmiri red chillies
- 1-2 tablespoons of cooking oil
- 1 teaspoon of soya sauce
- 2-3 tablespoons of water
- 1/2 teaspoon of cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon of sugar
- Salt as required
- Freshly chopped coriander leaves (for garnish)
- First, add the cloves of garlic, kashmiri red chillies, salt, sugar, and vinegar to a mixer jar.
- Then, add 2 tablespoons of water and blend to a smooth paste. If your mixture is too coarse in texture, then you can add 1 more tablespoon of water. Then, keep this paste aside for a few minutes.
- Next, take a pan and add 1 tablespoon of cooking oil.
- Add cumin to the hot oil and sauté it for a while, allowing the cumin to sizzle.
- Take a finely chopped onion, add it to the pan and sauté it until it turns lightly golden.
- Add capsicum and fry it for a while, too. This will add a slight crunch to your dish.
- Now, add the ground paste that we made earlier to the pan and cook it on a medium flame.
- Cook the mixture until it starts to thicken and starts releasing fat or oil from the sides. If you are not able to make out, just notice if it turns fragrant and does not have any raw smell. Remember, garlic tends to turn bitter if you overcook it, so take care.
- Then, cut the paneer into cubes and add it to another pan.
- Sauté the cubes for not more than 2-3 minutes, they can turn rubbery if you overcook.
- Next, add the paneer cubes to the mixture and toss them gently to coat the mixture. Cook them for not more than 1-2 minutes.
- Garnish the garlic paneer snack with chopped coriander leaves and serve it hot!
Image Courtesy: Archana's Kitchen
Paneer Chilla is a delicious snack you can try in the comfort of your home. It is actually a savory pancake that can be had on evenings with spicy chutney or in the breakfast as a healthy alternative for those heavy paranthas.
Moreover, these chillas do not need any side dish, and there is no deep-frying involved. Saved you! Learn how to make this yummy snack by following this recipe.
- 1 cup besan (gram flour)
- 220-240 grams of paneer (crumbled)
- 3 teaspoons of cooking oil
- 3/4 cup of water
- 1/4 cup carrot (finely chopped)
- 1/4 cup capsicum (finely chopped)
- 1/2 tomato (finely chopped)
- 1 teaspoon of ginger paste
- 1/4 +1/4 tsp turmeric (for chilla and stuffing)
- 1/2 + 1/2 teaspoon of red chilli powder (for chilla and stuffing)
- 1/4 teaspoon of garam masala
- 1/4 teaspoon of ajwain
- 1/2 teaspoon of crushed pepper
- 2 tablespoons of chopped coriander
- 1/2 +1/2 teaspoon of salt (for chilla and stuffing)
- First, for preparing the besan chilla batter, take a large bowl and add 1 besan, turmeric, red chilli powder, ajwain, and salt. Combine the ingredients well.
- Then, add 3/4th cup of water to the bowl and whisk to get a smooth batter with no lumps. Keep it aside.
- Next, prepare the paneer filling by adding, crumbled paneer with ginger paste, finely chopped carrot, capsicum, and tomato. You can also add other vegetables of your choice.
- Add turmeric, red chilli powder, crushed pepper, garam masala, salt, and finely chopped coriander to the stuffing mixture. Keep it aside.
- Now, take a ladleful of the besan chilla batter and pour it on hot tawa.
- Spread the batter gently like dosa but make sure that the chilla is slightly thick.
- To avoid it from sticking and making it crispy, spread the cooking oil around the corners.
- Allow the chilla to cook on low to medium flame until the bottom is cooked completely. This usually takes 1-2 minutes.
- After that, gently flip the chilla without breaking it.
- Then, cook it from the other side.
- Once you make sure that the chilla is cooked from both sides, spread 2 tablespoons of the paneer stuffing that we prepared earlier on half of the chilla.
- Fold it in half and roast slightly crisp.
- Serve the delicious paneer chilla with green chutney or tamarind chutney and enjoy!
This snack needs no introduction! Paneer Pakora is a very common snack prepared in almost every Indian household. People dream of having this perfect snack with a hot cup of tea on a rainy day or in the chilly winters.
But do you know how you can make this snack? No? Then, read on!
For the unversed, ‘Pakora‘ is the Hindi term for fried fritters. In this simple recipe, spiced paneer cubes are coated with besan (gram flour) batter. This leads to an evening snack that has a lovely crispy texture on the outside with moist, soft paneer from within.
Just like garlic paneer, this can be an ideal party starter or an evening snack. You can serve it as snacks, as a side dish and even use it as patties to stuff between sandwiches and burgers.
So, bring your mint chutney, and let’s get started!
- 220 grams of paneer (cubed)
- 3/4 cup of besan
- 1 teaspoon of ginger-garlic paste
- 1/2 + 1/4 teaspoon of red chilli powder (for preparation and besan batter)
- 3/4 teaspoon of chaat masala
- 1/4 teaspoon of turmeric
- Pinch of baking soda
- 1/4 +1/4 teaspoon of salt (for preparation and besan batter)
- 1/2 cup of water
- Cooking oil for deep frying
- Start the dish by preparing the spices for coating paneer. Take ginger-garlic paste, red chilli powder, chaat masala, and salt in a large mixing bowl. You can also add 1 teaspoon of kasuri methi if you like.
- Combine the ingredients well while forming a paste.
- After that, add the paneer cubes to the mixture and rub the masala paste on the paneer to coat it nicely. Then, keep it aside. This will make your star ingredient more flavourful.
- Next, start preparing the besan batter. For this, you need to take 3/4 cup of besan with turmeric, chilli powder, baking soda, chaat masala, and salt.
- Mix the ingredients well. You can add rice flour to the mix instead of baking soda to add that crunch!
- After combining the ingredients, add 1/2 cup of water and whisk smooth until you get a thick flowing batter.
- Then, take the paneer cubes that we marinated earlier and dip them into the prepared besan batter and coat it nicely.
- Now, add oil to a kadhai.
- When it becomes medium-hot, carefully add the coated paneer cubes to it. Keep the flame to medium or medium-high while frying.
- When one side of the paneer pakoda is lightly golden, gently turn over the pakora with a slotted spoon and continue to fry the second side.
- Once they look crisp and golden, take them out from the kadhai and place them on paper towels to soak the extra oil.
- Serve the paneer pakoras hot with mint chutney or tomato ketchup. You’ll love it!
Which of these paneer recipes are you going to try next? Do share your thoughts with us on our Facebook page. For more such stories, stay tuned to HerZindagi!
Did you like this article ?
Your skin and body like you are unique. While we have taken all measures to ensure that the information provided in this article and on our social media channels is credible and expert verified, we recommend you consult a doctor or your dermatologist before trying a home remedy, quick hack or exercise regime. For any feedback or complaint, reach out to us at email@example.com