PAN cards and Aadhar cards are unique identification cards issued to all the citizens of India. These are a proof of identity and mandatory for different registrations and verifications. While PAN card provides an alphanumeric number issued by the Income Tax Department, Aadhar card contains a 12-digit individual identification number issued by the Unique Identification Authority of India on behalf of the government of India. The Income Tax department recently made it mandatory for all PAN holders to link their cards with Aadhar cards. If you still haven't been able to link your PAN and Aadhar then follow this step by step guide.
Mandatory For All PAN Holders To Link PAN With Aadhar
The Income Ttax Ddepartment of India tweeted on their official Twitter handle , "As per Income-tax Act, 1961, it is mandatory for all PAN holders, who do not fall under the exempt category, to link their PAN with Aadhaar before 31.3.2023. From 1.04.2023, the unlinked PAN shall become inoperative. Link it before it’s too late. Don’t delay, link it today!"
3 Methods To Link PAN Card With Aadhar Card
There are three different ways you can link your PAN card with your Aadhar card.
Linking PAN With Aadhar Online
- To link your PAN card with Aadhar online, visit the Income Tax of India portal (https://www.incometax.gov.in/iec/foportal/).
- Look at the 'Quick Links' section and click on the 'Link Aadhar' option.
- Once you click on it, it will direct you to another page where you can enter your PAN card number and Aadhar number.
- Next, you will have to verify the information entered. Click on 'continue' and enter the OTP you receive on the registered mobile number.
Linking PAN With Aadhar Through SMS
To link your PAN card with Aadhar through an SMS, type UIDPAN<12 digit Aadhaar><10 digit PAN> on your message box and send it to 567678 or 56161. You will get a confirmation message.
Linking PAN With Aadhar Through PAN Service Centre
You can also get your PAN linked with Aadhar offline. For this, visit any of the PAN service centres and fill up the form 'Annexure - I'. On filling the form, submit a copy of your PAN card and Aadhar card. For this service, you might have to pay a certain amount at the centre which might vary depending on the state.
Don't Miss: How To Verify If Your Pan Card Is Fake Or Real
How To Check PAN-Aadhar Linking Status?
If you have applied to link your PAN card and Aadhar card, you can check the linking status online. Go to the income tax E-filing website, www.incometax.gov.in and click on the 'Link Aadhar Status' option under the Quick Links.
What Happens If You Don't Link Your PAN With Your Aadhar Card?
If you fail to link your PAN card with your Aadhar card, you will have to face the following consequences -
- You will not be able to file your income tax return (ITR)
- Your pending refunds will not be issued
- Your PAN card will become inoperative
- All the pending proceedings in case you had a deductive return will not be completed
- Your taxes will be deducted at a higher rate
PAN Card A Common Identifier
While presenting the Union Budget 2023-24 recently, Finance Minister Nirmala Sitharaman proposed to use PAN card as a common identity for all the digital systems at government agencies. The idea behind the proposal is to simplify the KYC process and make it easier for the Income Tax Department and all other other government agencies to manage the documents of all the PAN card holders.