A weekly manicure goes a long way in keeping the hands in good condition. Thus, there is a need to give your hands a luxury treatment at home.
You would need a small bowl for soaking your hands in warm water; an orange stick; nail clippers; an emery board; cotton wool; cotton buds; nail varnish remover, nail varnish and hand cream.
Firstly, remove old nail varnish using a cotton wool dipped in nail varnish remover. Do not apply too much remover, as it tends to dry out the nails. Then shape them into an oval shape using the emery board. While filing your nails, make sure that you do it in one direction only.
Then put some warm water in the bowl and soak your hands in it for 5 minutes. You can add a few drops of shampoo or soap-free bath gel. Use a soft brush on the nails to clean them after soaking. Hard nail brushes should not be used. Wash the hands if they are soapy.
Use cotton buds or wrap cotton wool around the orange stick. Then, push back the cuticles gently. You should avoid using a metal cuticle pusher. This is because it can injure the skin. You can apply some cream and the, try to push them back if the cuticles tend to adhere.
Then, you have to wrap cotton wool around a thin stick, or use a cotton bud to clean beneath the nails. Again, sharp metal instruments should not be used for this.
Apply hand cream on the nails, cuticles and hands. Massage it into the skin of the cuticles and hands. Use a moist towel to wipe off the excess cream. We have formulated a hand cream containing apricot and oil of rose, along with extracts which are rich in Vitamins B and E. These ingredients help to keep the skin soft and smooth and also provide lustre to dry and dull skin.
Now, go from the base to the tip while applying nail varnish and use smooth strokes. Ideally, you should go for three long strokes to cover each nail. Start with the middle and then, go sideways. Always apply two coats for an even finish. Apply the second coat only after the first coat is dry.
Useful Tips For Nail Beauty
- Use nail clippers for cutting nails to avoid splits.
- Broad nails can look narrower, if you leave a very narrow strip on either side without polish.
- Small and short nails can look longer if you apply light coloured nail polish.
- If the nail polish chips, avoid peeling it off. For long nails, try applying white frosted nail polish on the underside of your nails.
- If nails break easily, include adequate protein and calcium in your diet including skimmed milk, yogurt, cottage cheese, fish and sprouts.