Let's all admit that we pretty much ignore our neck area and pay all the attention to the face. No wonder why we see a major difference between the colour of our neck and face. Neglecting the neck area takes away its natural glow and leads to the accumulation of dead skin which makes our neck appear comparatively darker than our face.
The reality is that our neck is exposed as much as our face. It gets affected by environmental factors like polluted air, harmful sun rays, dust, and dirt and ends up looking pigmented.
Just like your face, your neck too deserves a complete routine that involves cleansing, exfoliating, moisturisation among other crucial skincare steps.
Importance Of Neck Skincare Routine
- Our skin in the neck is much thinner to our regular skin. Have you ever noticed? This also means that the skin here is quite sensitive. It requires extra care and nourishment.
- Not taking care of our neck speeds up skin ageing. If the neck area doesn't get enough cleansing and moisturisation, it starts to loosen up and sagging which makes you look older.
- When we forget to clean up our neck, dust and dirt starts to accumulate over it and they end up clogging the pores of your skin which makes your neck appear dark.
- A lot of us prefer sleeping on one side and this leads to the formation of wrinkles, lines on our neck. This process fastens if we don't moisturise our skin regularly.
How To Follow A Neck Care Routine?
Step 1: Cleanse
Just like you cleanse your face, it is important to clean your neck too. Use a regular face cleanser or wash to clean up the neck area. Gently massage over damp neck and then wash with normal water.
Step 2: Exfoliate
Over time, your neck gets accumulated with dirt and dust over time which makes it appear dark. To get rid of the dead skin layers, it it important to exfoliate our neck on a regular basis. To exfoliate your neck, you can use a regular scrub or use a homemade one. One of the best scrubs to use is the coffee scrub.
- In a bowl, add 1 tsp of ground coffee.
- Add some sugar to it.
- Pour in some milk and stir well.
- Use this scrub over your neck. Massage for a few minutes gently and then wash off.
Step 3: Tone
Toning is a crucial step in your regular neck care routine because it lifts the skin of your neck and prevent ageing signs like lines and sagging. You can use rose water as a toner if you don't wish to invest in fancy ones. It will prevent your skin from ageing quickly.
Don't Miss: Honey Facial At Home For Instant Glow
Step 4: SPF
As aforementioned, our neck gets exposed to the sun as much as our face. So, don't miss out on the sunscreen. The sunscreen will act as a shield and prevent your neck from getting exposed to the harmful rays of the sun. Also, using a sunscreen will help delay the ageing process. Use a minimum of SPF 30 on your neck.
Step 5: Moisturise
Just like our face, our neck needs good amount of moisturisation. You can use the same moisturiser you are using for your face. Make sure that you massage your neck upwards till the cream soaks in.
Tips To Treat Dark Neck
Aloe vera will help lightening your skin and fight the enzyme which causes pigmentation.
- Scrape fresh aloe vera gel from the leaf and keep in a bowl.
- Massage your dark neck with this gel for 10 minutes and then wash with water. Do this everyday for quick results.
Almond oil is rich in vitamin E, it helps in rejuventating your skin and also improves your complexion.
- Clean your neck and then take a few drops of almond oil on your hand.
- Massage your neck with this oil for 5-10 minutes and then wash.
Do you know, potatoes have skin lightening properties? Potatoes have a bleaching effect on your skin.
- Grate a potato and then extract its juice.
- Apply it to your neck and let it dry for 10 minutes.
- Wash with lukewarm water.
Vitamin E works great on pigmented skin. It removes pigmentation and also keeps your skin smooth and hydrated.
- Break 1-2 vitamin E capsules in a bowl and massage over your neck. Keep for a few minutes and then wash.
Turmeric or haldi is a great natural ingredient for pigmented neck.
- In a bowl, add 1-2 tbsp of curd and 1/4 tsp of turmeric powder. Mix well.
- Apply this paste on your neck and keep for 15 minutes.
- Wash with lukewarm water.
Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar helps in balancing the pH of the skin and gives your neck a natural glow. It also takes away the pigmentation.
- In a bowl, add 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar and 2 tbsp water. Mix well.
- Using a cotton ball, apply all over your neck.
- Keep for 10 minutes and then wash.
We hope this guide helps you take care of your neck and keeps pigmentation at bay. For more such stories, stay tuned!
Did you like this article ?
Your skin and body like you are unique. While we have taken all measures to ensure that the information provided in this article and on our social media channels is credible and expert verified, we recommend you consult a doctor or your dermatologist before trying a home remedy, quick hack or exercise regime. For any feedback or complaint, reach out to us at firstname.lastname@example.org