Vegetable khichdi is simply a tasty khichdi version of the regular khichdi that is somewhat spicy and incorporates a variety of vegetables. Warm, nourishing, and comforting. In a pressure cooker, any khichdi variant, including this veggie khichdi, is quick to make. As a result, it's a preferable choice for cooking after a long day.
How To Make
- In a bowl, combine 1/3 cup broken rice or any ordinary rice with 1/3 cup moong dal (husked split mung lentils). Rinse a couple of times with water. Drain the water and set it aside. Chop the vegetables and set them aside as well.
- In a pressure cooker, melt 1 tablespoon of ghee or oil. 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds, 1 small to medium tej patta (Indian bay leaf), 1/2 inch cinnamon, 2 cloves, and 2 green cardamoms (garam masala or entire spices) Cook until the spices are aromatic and crackle.
- Then add 1/3 cup finely chopped onion. Cook until the onions are transparent, about 5 minutes.
- Add 1 to 2 green chilies and 1/4 to 1/3 cup chopped tomatoes.
- Then add 1 to 1.25 cups chopped mixed vegetables, 1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder, 1/4 teaspoon red chilli powder, and a pinch of asafoetida powder (hing). Add 1/2 tsp red chilli powder for a spicier khichdi. Cook for 1 minute.
- Then put rice and moong dal into the cooker. Mix it with the veggies well.
- Add 2 cups of water and let it cook for 8 whistles.
Vegetable khichdi Recipe Recipe Card
Make delicious vegetable khichdi in no time!
- Total Time :
- 30 min
- Preparation Time :
- 10 min
- Cooking Time :
- 20 min
- Servings :
- Cooking Level :
- Main Course
- Kumari Rajnigandha
- Rice - ½ cup
- Moong dal -⅓ cup
- Ghee 1 tablespoon
- Cumin seeds - ½ teaspoon
- Tej patta - 1 leaf
- Cloves - 2
- Chopped tomatoes -⅓ cup
- Green Chilies
- Mixed chopped veggies
- Turmeric powder
- Red chili powder
- Asafoetida (hing)
- Water - 2 cups
- Coriander leaves
- Step 1
- In a mixing bowl, add rice and moong dal. Rinse a couple of times with water.
- Step 2
- Chop the vegetables and set them aside as well.
- Step 3
- In a pressure cooker, melt 1 tablespoon ghee or oil.
- Step 4
- Saute spices until they are aromatic and crackle.
- Step 5
- Then add 1 to 1.25 cups chopped mixed vegetables, 1/4 teaspoon turmeric, 1/4 teaspoon red chilli powder, and a pinch of asafoetida. Then saute all these ingredients for a minute.
- Step 6
- Then add rice and moong dal into the cooker.
- Step 7
- Cook for 8 whistles and vegetable khichdi is ready!
Did you like this article ?
Your skin and body like you are unique. While we have taken all measures to ensure that the information provided in this article and on our social media channels is credible and expert verified, we recommend you consult a doctor or your dermatologist before trying a home remedy, quick hack or exercise regime. For any feedback or complaint, reach out to us at email@example.com