A healing bowl of Celery Soup is comforting, affordable, and flavorful, that can be made in just about 35 minutes. Healthy, delicious, and vegan adaptable!
Here's how you can make a Celery Soup at home, quick and easy!
- Heat the oil in a big pot over medium-high heat, and add the onion, stirring occasionally, letting the onions get golden for about 5 minutes.
- While the onions are cooking, roughly chop the garlic, celery, and potatoes.
- When the onions are golden add the garlic and stir 1-2 minutes, until fragrant.
- Add the celery, potatoes, broth, water, bay leaf, salt, pepper, and cayenne.
- Remove bay leaves and add the fresh herbs and just stir.
- Blend well! For extra “green” color, add a handful of raw spinach if you like, or more fresh parsley.
Here are some things you can keep in mind while making one to create a wider range of variety!
- If using cashew cream, adding a little splash of lemon juice, enlivens the soup. Sour cream and yogurt have a natural tanginess, so you may not need them.
- A quick way to make this vegan version ( with cashew cream), is to toss the ½ cup of cashews into the simmering pot at the beginning with the celery and potatoes, letting them soften. Then just blend it all up!
- Slicing the celery thinly will prevent the fiber's texture.
- If freezing, best to freeze without the sour cream, as it may get granular- then add it later when reheating.
Celery Soup Recipe Card
Make a healing bowl of celery soup at home, quick and easy!
- Total Time :
- 35 min
- Preparation Time :
- 15 min
- Cooking Time :
- 20 min
- Servings :
- Cooking Level :
- Mahima Girotra
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion
- 4 fat garlic cloves
- 6 cups celery
- sliced thin 1 extra-large head
- save some leaves for garnish
- 2 cups potatoes
- sliced into ½ inch thick rounds
- 4 cups veggie or chicken broth
- 1 cup water
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- ¼ cup fresh dill
- ½ cup fresh parsley
- ½ cup of sour cream
- plain yogurt
- vegan sour cream
- heavy cream or cashew cream.
- Step 1
- Heat the oil in a big pot over medium high heat, and add the onion, stirring occasionally, letting the onions get golden, about 5 minutes.
- Step 2
- While the onions are cooking, rough chop the garlic, celery and potatoes. When the onions are golden add the garlic and stir 1-2 minutes, until fragrant. Add the celery, potatoes, broth, water, bay leaf, salt, pepper, and cayenne. The liquid should just cover the veggies. Cover, bring to a rolling boil, turn heat down and simmer gently until potatoes are tender, about 10 minutes.
- Step 3
- Turn heat off, remove bay leaves and add the fresh herbs and just wilt them (don’t cook herbs or you lose the vibrant color!
- Step 4
- Using an immersion blender blend until very silky smooth – OR if using a regular blender, let cool before blending in smaller batches.
- Step 5
- Blend well, a full minute, until herbs are fully blended, creating a vibrant colored soup. For extra “green” color, add a handful of raw spinach if you like, or more fresh parsley. Place it back in the same pot over low heat. Stir in your choice of sour cream, or any of the other options.
- Step 6
- To make the crispy celery leaves, heat a generous amount of olive oil in a small skillet over medium heat. Wait until the oil is hot. Fry a “tester” celery leaf for 10-20 seconds on each side. Set on a paper towel. If it is crisp, continue on. Adding a few at a time, not overly crowding. If not crisp, fry them a little longer. You want about 3-5 leaves per serving bowl. In the same oil, you could fry the nigella seeds until you just begin to hear popping. Turn heat off. Arrange the crispy celery leaves in a crescent shape. Spoon a little of the nigella seeds along with a little oil in the same shape. Sprinkle with hemp seeds if you like.
- Step 7
- Enjoy the soup to your taste and warmth!
Did you like this article ?
Your skin and body like you are unique. While we have taken all measures to ensure that the information provided in this article and on our social media channels is credible and expert verified, we recommend you consult a doctor or your dermatologist before trying a home remedy, quick hack or exercise regime. For any feedback or complaint, reach out to us at firstname.lastname@example.org