Bihar has its own delicious type of dumpling that happens to extremely healthy and can be made and home without must struggle. It is called dal pitha. Dumplings or pithas are simply stuffed with a protein-rich and spicy filling. Made from rice flour and dal, there are several varieties of pithas. Prepare this version using the under given recipe.
Dal Pitha Recipe Card
Dal Pitha, a steamed dish made by using fresh rice flour and spicy dal filling, savour during breakfast or serve with Masala Chai during tea time.
- Total Time :
- 50 min
- Preparation Time :
- 15 min
- Cooking Time :
- 30 min
- Servings :
- Cooking Level :
- Samriddhi Srivastava
- 2 cup rice
- soaked for overnight or 1 cup rice flour
- 1 teaspoon mustard oil
- 1/2 cup 2-3 hours soaked chana dal
- 2 finely green chillies
- 1 inch ginger finely chopped
- 3 chopped cloves garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon black peppercorns
- 1/2 teaspoon ajwain (carom seeds)
- coriander leaves
- Step 1
- Make paste by grinding overnight soaked rice. You want the consistency to be thin, so dilute the batter by adding 1/ 2 cup water. Add salt and oil to the batter.
- Step 2
- Pour the batter into a heavy bottom kadai and cook on low flame for 10-15 minutes. Keep stirring to prevent lump. Cook till it turns into a soft dough. Once done, keep it aside.
- Step 3
- For stuffing, take soaked dal and grind it along with green chillies, ginger, carom seeds cumin seeds, garlic, salt, and pepper corns to make a thick paste.
- Step 4
- Heat another kadai on low flame. Add a teaspoon of oil. Once the oil get hot add the dal mixture.
- Step 5
- Stir well till the dal cooks and the mixture get a powdery texture. Cook for 8-10 minutes. Once cooked, turn off the flame.
- Step 6
- To make pithas or dumpling, grease a steamer vessel with oil.
- Step 7
- Apply oil to your hands too. Take small portions of the rice dough, using your hand, shape them into balls.
- Step 8
- Now roll the ball into small chapatti. Take the chapatti in hand, fill the stuffing and fold. You can also make dumpling like gujiya.
- Step 9
- Seal gently by pressing the ends with the help of greased fingers. Repeat the same for the entire batch.
- Step 10
- Place the pithas in the steamer. Steam for around for 30-40 minutes.
- Step 11
- Your dish is ready to be served. Eat in breakfast or during teatime with masala chai. You can also add a chutney of your choice.
Did you like this article ?
Your skin and body like you are unique. While we have taken all measures to ensure that the information provided in this article and on our social media channels is credible and expert verified, we recommend you consult a doctor or your dermatologist before trying a home remedy, quick hack or exercise regime. For any feedback or complaint, reach out to us at email@example.com