Many of us use eye creams in order to get rid of several problems. However, the question arises of whether these creams are beneficial or not.
Dr Sejal Saheta, Dermatologist and Venereologist, founder of InUrSkn says “Why do you look so tired all the time? Your eyes make you look much older than you are. Have you been crying? These are some of the questions and statements that a lot of my patients come across on a daily level. And one of the primary reasons for these statements is the condition of the skin around their eyes. And obviously, with a problem so prolific, there are just a whole lot of over-the-counter solutions available that promise miracles. To truly understand if these eye creams work, it is first important to understand what exactly causes under-eye skin problems.”
So What Goes Wrong With The Skin Under And Around Your Eyes?
The main reasons for under-eye skin issues are mentioned below.
- The skin under your eyes is very delicate and thin, with very little subcutaneous fats. As a result, it is also the most prone to damage by ageing, lifestyle choices like smoking and environmental factors like sun exposure, dry air etc.
- Also as you age, your bone density decreases and the structure of the face becomes hollow, especially around your eyes and cheeks.
Both these factors lead to damage to the skin under your eyes as follows.
- The blood vessels in the thin skin under the eyes are very fragile and they tend to leak blood components into the skin, which on degradation cause pigmentation.
- There is also poor blood circulation which further causes a reduction in the speed at which structural cells like collagen, elastin etc. are replenished. This causes the skin to lose its elasticity and firmness and the fat to move lower under the eyes.
- The loss of bone structure also causes the skin to droop and wrinkles to form.
- In addition, lifestyle choices like consumption of excess alcohol, excess salt in diet etc. can also cause water retention under the eyes.
Don't Miss: What Is Hair Botox? Here's A Step-By-Step Guide!
Types Of Skin Problems
Did you know, that not all people have the same skin problems around their eyes? The different types of issues patients experience are:
- Puffiness under the eyes
- Pigmentation under the eyes
- Volume loss under the eyes
- Wrinkles and lines around and under the eyes
Dr. Sejal Saheta says, “Based on some limited studies and empirical evidence, I strongly believe that eye creams do work. But you will need to find one with the correct set of ingredients that work for your condition. A dermatologist will be able to help you with the same.”
It also helps to understand which ingredients of eye cream can help your specific issue. Dr. Sejal Saheta recommends the best eye creams according to your specific problems.
- If you are experiencing pigmentation under your eyes, your best bet is under eye creams with antioxidants like vitamin C derivatives or glutathione, which reduce the oxidative stress on your skin and help reduce pigmentation.
- If your primary concern is wrinkles and lines then you need to choose a serum or cream which carries collagen boosters like retinoids (vitamin A derivatives), which will help improve the structure and elasticity of your skin.
- Also, most eye creams will carry an ingredient like caffeine, vitamin K etc. that boost the blood circulation in your skin. This will definitely help with puffiness under your eyes and all other issues.
- Also, no matter what eye cream you choose, it should have a healthy amount of ingredients that help to moisturize and improve the barrier function of your skin. These are generally some form of compounds of hyaluronic acid and collagens.
“Also it is interesting to note that you will have limited success with eye creams for volume loss and hollowness. The best mechanism for solving this would be hyaluronic acid injectable treatments done in your dermatologist’s clinic,” adds Dr. Sejal Saheta.
I hope this article will help you choose an eye cream that works for your needs and get rid of your dark circles and pesky questions. For more such stories, stay tuned to HerZindagi!
Did you like this article ?
Your skin and body like you are unique. While we have taken all measures to ensure that the information provided in this article and on our social media channels is credible and expert verified, we recommend you consult a doctor or your dermatologist before trying a home remedy, quick hack or exercise regime. For any feedback or complaint, reach out to us at firstname.lastname@example.org