Among the wide variety of pumpkins available in the market, white pumpkin is known to have some amazing health benefits. White pumpkin is highly nutritious and can be used in diferent ways in your daily diet routine.
If you are just bored of having your pumpkin in the form of pies and soups then here is an interesting, traditional pumpkin recipe you can try.
Professor Rekha Diwekar, mother of India's leading nutritionist Rujuta Diwekar is a heritage food expert and keeps sharing traditional recipes from her kitchen.
Recently, she took to her Instagram handle and shared a quick recipe for white pumpkin halwa. Read on
How To Make White Pumpkin Halwa?
Ingredients Required -
- White Pumpkin
- Dry Fruits As Per Choice
The food expert shared that no khava, milk should be added so that the halwa remains in good condition for a longer time.
- Take white pumpkin and remove the skin.
- Grate white pumpkin but don't throw water.
- Add 1 bowl of sugar for 5 bowls of grated pumpkin.
- Heat this mixture till it becomes almost dry. However, make sure it is not completely dry.
- Next add elaichi powder or nutmeg powder.
- Add dry fruits as per choice.
- Eat this white pumpkin halwa everyday about 2 to 3 teaspoons.
- You can also eat it as is or with roti.
Benefits Of Having White Pumpkin
Heritage food expert, Rekha Diwekar on her Instagram post mentioned that white pumpkin which is also known as kohla in Marathi is highly nutritious and therapeutic. She shared that white pumpkin is widely used in South India in the form of avial (vegetable), sambar, kadhi, halwa etc.
Rekha Diwekar also shared that the water content of white pumpkin is very high, about 94 percent. This halwa is usually consumed in summers before stepping out so that the body doesn't get affected by extreme heat due to its cooling nature.
Next, she shared that white pumkin is a very good source of few B vitamins and minerals like calcium and potassium.
Other Health Benefits Of White Pumpkin -
- White pumpkin works as an anti-depressant for you body. It is rich in L-trptophan which is an essential amino acid which body usually can't produce. This chemical compound present in white pumpkin helps in improving your mood and gives your body a feeling of happiness.
- Packed with rich nutrients, white pumpkin can do wonders for your immune system. It helps in increasing the production of white blood cells in the body which further fight various infections. Especially now when we are more at the risk of getting infected by deadly viruses, you should add white pumpkin to your daily diet.
- White pumkin is a good source of Lutein and Zeaxanthin which are both essential for your eyes. These compunds protect eyes from free radical damage and prevent formation of cataract and other eye issues.
- The antioxidants present in white pumpkin help in boosting your heart health and reduce the chance of heart diseases and strokes.
- The laxative properties present in white pumpkin are highly beneficial in curing stomach digestive issues like diarrhea and constipation among others.
Though white pumpkin is super healthy and you must add it to your diet for its health benefits, you must consult your doctor if you are undergoing a health treatment before adding it to your diet.
For more such health related stories, stay tuned!
Did you like this article ?
Your skin and body like you are unique. While we have taken all measures to ensure that the information provided in this article and on our social media channels is credible and expert verified, we recommend you consult a doctor or your dermatologist before trying a home remedy, quick hack or exercise regime. For any feedback or complaint, reach out to us at firstname.lastname@example.org