Have you ever felt a strong, burning sensation or pain while urinating? If yes, you might be suffering from a medical condition called dysuria. The health issue leads to a lot of discomfort and is quite common among women.
Dysuria symptoms can be constant or vary from women to women and can both worsen or improve depending on different factors.
We spoke to Dr. Anand Dharaskar, Sr. Consultant and Transplant Surgeon, Urology, Aditya Birla Memorial Hospitaland asked what are some common reasons for this burning sensation while passing urine. Read on to know.
Holding Urine For Too Long
Holding our urine for too long can lead to an increase in the toxicity of the pee which is accumulated in the bladder. This acid gets in contact with the lining of the bladder and leads to rashes and pain. This is why when you pee after a long time, it gets rubbed against the injured walls of the bladder that make your vagina and urethra hurt.
Keeping Yourself Dehydrated
We flush out the toxins from our body through urine. When we drink more water, these toxins get absorbed in it and eventually get flushed out from our body. Drinking more water means the less concentrated our urine is.
Not having enough water through the day can lead to dehydration which can make our pee more acidic and it can hurt while releasing it from the body. The expert shared that one should drink atleast 7 to 8 glasses of water everyday.
Having A Urine Tract Infection (UTI)
UTI's are quite common among women these days. They are one of the most common reason why women suffer burning sensation while urinating. It is usually because of the bacterial infection of the urinary tract. The infection leads to inflammation in the urinary tract and this further gets carried to the kidneys, bladder, urethra which leads to pain while urinating.
Getting Infected With STD's Or Sexually Transmitted Diseases
If you have got infected with a sexually transmitted disease then you may suffer from pain while urinating. Some common sexually transmitted infections include genital herpes, gonorrhoea, and chlamydia. These infections don't always have any symptoms so it is important to get them screened.
Other Reasons For Burning Sensation During Urination
- Urethritis - It is a medical condition where the urethra becomes inflamed because of an infection by bacteria.
- Vaginal yeast infection - It is a common health issue seen in women.
- Cystitis - It is a condtion where the bladder's lining gets inflamed.
- Pelvic inflammatory disease - This disease is caused by an initial bacterial infection in the vagina which has moved into the reproductive organs.
- Prostatitis - Inflammation of the prostate gland can also be one of the reasons.
- Obstructive Uropathy - An obstruction in the bladder, urethra or ureter can make the urine flow back to the kidneys and this can be one reason why you feel the burning sensation.
- Kidney stones are a common reason behind burning sensation during urination.
- Some medications, such as those for cancer treatment, antibiotics can lead to burning sensation while passing urine.
- Not using the correct hygiene products for your genital area can be one of the reasons why you feel a burning sensation while urinating.
Do you have any questions related to the burning sensation while urinating? Write to us on our Facebook page and we will try to get them answered for you from our expert. For more such health related articles, stay tuned!