It is a healthy practice to work out or exercise daily and do challenging exercises to build strong muscles and keep your body fit. Although, just like your warms that help your body to prepare itself for lifting weights certain exercises need to be performed after your session to keep your body cool and bring your heart rate to normal. Workouts can be grueling and we often skip or ignore the post-workout practices thinking that we already have done a lot for the day. However, post-workout stretches and poses are equally important in providing you optimum benefits.
Seated Hamstring Stretch
Your legs do a lot for your body, almost all the workouts include the movements of your thighs and calves. It is ideal to stretch your legs after indulging in a hard-core workout session like intensive cardio or kickboxing. The hamstring stretch is best to provide some relief to your tightened muscles.
How To Do It?
- Sit on the floor in the butterfly pose
- Take your right leg and extend it
- Your left knee has to be bent
- Now bend forward towards your right leg
- You may take support of the lower leg but don’t put too much pressure
- Remain in the same position for 10seconds and gradually build this up to 30.
- Repeat with another leg
Child pose is the best exercise to relax and stretch your whole body after a hardcore workout session.
How To Do?
- Bring your knees and hands on the mat and spread the knees wide
- Your upper side of your feet has to be on the mat and your toes touching the ground
- Rest your belly on your thighs and bend forward
- Extend both your arms in front of you in a straight line with your shoulder
- Relax your shoulders, look downwards and rest your forehead on the ground and breathe normally
A butterfly stretch is a great post-workout exercise that targets your inner thigh area and hips area. It provides flexibility to your lower body parts.
How To Do It?
- Sit on a mat and bring your legs in front of you, your foot soles pressing against each other
- Straighten your back, shoulders back, core tight, and tuck your chin towards the chest
- Now with both your hands hold your foot and gently lift your groin, and drive your knees to the floor until a point, it’s comfortable for you.
- Feel the stretch in the hips, hamstrings, and groin area
- Hold the position for 20-25 seconds then relax and repeat
Side Arm Stretch
How To Do It?
- Stand straight and cross your right arm in a position that your palms are in
- Take your left hand and place it on the elbow of the right hand
- Push the supporting left hand inwards
- Feel the stretch in the right arm
- Repeat the exercise with the other hand
We hope these exercises will help you with your post-workout relaxation. Stay tuned to Herzindagi for more.
image courtesy: pixabay