Ayurveda, an ancient therapy of medicine that is being practiced in India for centuries. Other than just providing relaxation and rejuvenation, this age-old practice boosts blood circulation, helps the blood to reach the nerve endings, and much more. The important thing to remember is, Ayurvedic massage is not only concentrated on the brain, but it helps in holistic healing. However, getting Ayurvedic massage can turn out to be an expensive affair. But, you can save your money by giving this beneficial massage yourself at home. Here’s what you need to do:
Things You Will Need
- Yoga mat
- Shirodhara pot
- Eye mask
Choosing Right Oil
The type of oil you use to massage your head matters. There are various types of oils that one can use. The most common types that are also easily available are coconut, almond, argon, jojoba, sunflower, olive, and argon oil. Before choosing the oil or the lubricant for yourself, it's best to find out the property of the main ingredient that you will use for your Ayurvedic massage.
- Coconut Oil – This oil is loaded with vitamin E and fatty acids. If you want to relax and cool down the body use coconut oil.
- Almond Oil – In order to heal certain types of skin damage such as sun burn or dryness of the skin, use almond oil. It is rich in vitamin E, fatty acids, potassium, and zinc.
- Argon Oil – Argon oil, rich in vitamins A and E, is popular for its properties to heal hair damages and to provide needed hydration to the skin.
- Sesame Oil- This oil is one of the most wholesome oils. Loaded with anti-inflammatory properties, this oil helps in treating joint inflammation. Sesame oil also purifies the skin.
- Jojoba Oil – If you want to get rid of skin problems, especially the bacteria prevailing on the surface of the skin, use vitamins A and E rich jojoba oil.
- Sunflower Oil – Found commonly in every Indian household, the sunflower is rich in omega 6 and reportedly helps with dermatitis.
Here’s What You Need To Do
- Dim the lights and lay down a yoga mat on the floor. Play relaxing music and medium volume.
- Place a clean towel on the top of the yoga mat for better comfort.
- Shirodhara pot is an equipment used to pour liquids or oils over the forehead. If you don’t have the Shirodhara pot, you can hang in any simple pot.
- Warm the oil of your choice and place it inside the pot. Close the hole in the bottom of the pot for now.
- Wear the eye mask. Or cover your eyes using a clean cotton cloth.
- Now open the hole of the pot and allow the oil to fall on the centre of the forehead, also called the third eye. If you find the process difficult, take help of your family.
- Thereafter, gently massage your scalp in circular motions for 8-10 minutes.
- Stay in the resting position for 15-20 minutes after oiling your scalp and hair.
Did you like this article ?
Your skin and body like you are unique. While we have taken all measures to ensure that the information provided in this article and on our social media channels is credible and expert verified, we recommend you consult a doctor or your dermatologist before trying a home remedy, quick hack or exercise regime. For any feedback or complaint, reach out to us at email@example.com