If you are looking at making significant changes in your lifestyle with respect to any addictive habits, meditation is your answer. Whether you want to control your cravings of tobacco, nicotine, sugar, caffeine etc, Grand Master Akshar told HerZindagi that you can perform this simple meditation called Aarambh Dhyan. Also known as seed meditation, this is a meditation technique that can be performed for 2 minutes at the time when you most experience your cravings.
Here are some tips on how you can handle different cravings as suggested by Grand Master Akshar.
Any substance that has an addictive quality to it interacts with the naturally occurring chemicals in your brain. Nicotine or tobacco for example has an impact on the brain’s reward processing center and pathways. It is this that causes a pleasurable reaction leading to repeated behaviour and cravings.
As the brain’s chemical messenger, dopamine is a neurotransmitter and sends signals of pleasure. This addiction or longing happens because the brain goes through a series of changes. It first starts with recognizing the feeling of pleasure and ends with a drive toward compulsive behaviour.
In this way, it can be seen that Dopamine not only adds to the experience of pleasure, but is also instrumental in shaping one’s learning and memory. These are the major factors that convert liking something to becoming addicted to it.
This technique of seed meditation offers its practitioners plenty of freedom and generates positive vibrations. Seed meditation uses the method of meditation and visualisation. It is a simple and effective method for making alterations to your behaviour and breaking habits
How to Perform this Technique
- Take a comfortable seating position which could be a padmasana, vajrasana or sukhasana.
- Close your eyes and keep your back straight.
- Now concentrate and visualise two whole in front of you with one being black and the other being white.
- The black hole you are imagining is the one that takes away all your cravings while the white one is radiating satisfaction.
Begin by breathing and out deeply but when you exhale, you send those cravings into the black hole.
- Take a momentary pause in each exhale and inhale so that when you exhale you feel that you have emptied out all the cravings.
- When you inhale, gather all that satisfaction from the white hole and soak in the positive energy which will transform you and help in your growth.
- Visualisation is the key here and this meditation can be concluded by imagining that both the black and white holes have merged into the universe.
This technique of Aarambh Dhyan helps you achieve growth and progress in your life. One who practices this form of meditation technique never experiences weakness. The process of practicing this meditation technique is very simple. It builds up our positive auto-response system, boosting confidence and self-esteem. Over a period of time, with regular and consistent practice, you will be able to train the brain. Through this training, it becomes possible to create new neural pathways in your brain that can break old patterns and eliminate any existing addictive impulses.
Stay tuned to HerZindagi for more such tips on a healthy living.