Many of us today are sleep deprived and this is affecting our productivity, our moods, our attitude and creating issues. The work from home concept and stress of daily lives has taken a toll which keeps us awake or glued to the phone and laptop screen. So here are a few yoga asanas which must be practiced for 10 minutes as a routine, as recommended by expert.
Grandmaster Akshar shared with HerZindagi: "Even as little as 10 minutes before you go to sleep can be enough to practice a few postures that can be of great benefit to you. Yoga is widely known for its innumerable health advantages which also includes better quality of sleep. Practicing a few simple postures and breathing exercises such as Bhastrika Pranayam and Bhramari Pranayam before you go to sleep can help to relax the mind."
- Stand straight, keep your hands beside you with your feet together and as you inhale, lift both hands up.
- Join your palms and gently begin to bend back.
- Keeping your eyes open.
- Exhale gently and return to a neutral position.
- Bring your arms back to your sides.
- Align your palms and the shoulders with your knees below the hips.
- Straighten your knees, lift your hips up.
- Form an inverted ‘V’ by adjusting your knees.
- Make sure your hands are shoulder width apart.
- Try to touch the heels on the floor.
- Hold the position for a few seconds.
- Focus your eyes on the toes.
Balasana (Child’s Pose)
- Kneel on your yoga mat and sit on your heels.
- Breath in and when you exhale, lean forward while bending your upper body.
- Bend your forehead downwards, rest your pelvis on the heels.
Vrikshasana (Tree Pose)
- Begin in Samasthithi.
- Lift your right leg and balance as you put your body weight on your left leg.
- Support your foot with your palms if you have to.
- Bring your right foot on your left inner thigh.
- Raise your hands up while joining your palms.
- Your head should be between your arms.
- Repeat the same with the other leg.
- Kneel on the yoga mat with your hands on the hips.
- Your back must be straight but the pelvis should not rest on the heels.
- Inhale and lift both hands up, and make sure your palms are facing each other.
- Stay like this for a couple of breaths.
Don't Miss: 6 Reasons Why Your Beauty Sleep Is Disturbed
To practice yoga before sleeping, prepare a soothing environment by creating space that is free from any distractions that could cause you disturbance. Ensure that your sheets and pillow covers are clean and smell fresh. Even by preparing a relaxing and clean environment it can put your mind and body at ease and help you drift into sleep faster. Also try to de-clutter your mind from too many unnecessary thoughts from the day and resolved to address them in the morning after a night of good and restful sleep. Follow any form of guided sleep meditation or Yoga Nidra and turn to your left side and sleep.
Stay tuned to HerZindagi for more on yoga for different purposes by yoga experts.