Diabetes is a condition that arises due to the imbalance in blood sugar levels. Currently, it is one of the most prevalent metabolic disorders and there is no cure for the same. Therefore, several precautions need to be taken including exercise and diet.
If you are diabetic, then you need to keep a check on what you add to your plate. Certain vegetables like okra can be beneficial.
Okra For Diabetics
Many fruits and vegetables are supposed to aid in dealing with diabetes. One such vegetable is lady finger aka okra or as we call it in hindi ‘bhindi’.
Okra is rich in several nutrients which includes folate, vitamin B6, and fibre. Vitamin B present in this vegetable slows down the progress of neuropathy along with reducing the levels of homocysteine which is a risk factor of this disease.
This widely consumed vegetable also has a very low level of glycaemic index (GI). GI is a ranking given to different foods according to how they affect our blood sugar level. Foods with low GI levels keep our blood sugar level in check.
Okra is a great source of both soluble and insoluble fibre. It is a known fact that fibre takes longer to break down and this is why the sugar is released gradually into the bloodstream. This helps in maintaining our blood sugar levels. If you eat food rich in fibre it will keep you feeling full for a longer period of time. This can prevent cravings. Therefore there will be less chances of weight gain and other insulin related complications.
100 grams of okra, contains only 33 calories. Due to the low level of calories, okra will help you keep your weight in check.
Rich In Nutrients
This vegetable is a powerhouse of antioxidants and is rich in essential nutrients like folate, lutein and beta-carotene. Along with this, it contains anti-inflammatory properties which makes it an ideal option to add to your diet.
Other Health Benefits Of Lady Finger
- Okra is not only beneficial to lower blood sugar levels but this vegetable also has several other health benefits. Read on to know about more of its health benefits.
- Okra reduces the risk of heart diseases as it can control bad cholesterol levels.
- Okra is rich in vitamin C and can help boost our immunity.
- Pregnant women can consume okra as it contains vitamin A, B, and C.
- Okra is also rich in vitamin K which helps in bone formation as well as helps with blood clotting.
- Okra contains lutein, zeaxanthin, and meso-zeaxanthin. Due to the presence of these three dietary carotenoids, it is also beneficial for your eyes.
- Dietary carotenoids are essential for the growth and repair of skin cells. Okra can aid in reducing damage caused by the sun, thus giving you a healthy and glowing skin.
Did you like this article ?
Your skin and body like you are unique. While we have taken all measures to ensure that the information provided in this article and on our social media channels is credible and expert verified, we recommend you consult a doctor or your dermatologist before trying a home remedy, quick hack or exercise regime. For any feedback or complaint, reach out to us at firstname.lastname@example.org