Do you know, Sri Guru Nanak Dev Ji spent the last 18 years of his life on the banks of river Ravi in a village called Karatarpur which is now in Pakistan? In Sikhism, this gurudwara is believed to be one of the holiest sites.
Other than being a holy site, this gurudwara is also popular for its location which is near India and Pakistan border. For years, Indian pilgrims got a glimpse of the gurudwara from the Indian side of the border and never could imagine visiting it. However, in the year 2019, the Kararpur corridor was opened by Pakistan Prime Minister Imran Khan.
This historic moment gave Indian Sikh pilgrims to visit the gurudwara without any visa.
Gurdwara Darbar Sahib Kartarpur
The gurudwara is believed to be one of the largest in the world. It is located 5 km from the India - Pakistan border. The gurudwara was built to commemorate the site where the founder of Sikhism, Guru Nanak settled after his missionary work. It is believed that he did farming in the Kartarpur village during his last 18 years.
The Kartarpur Corridor is a visa-free religious corridor that connects Gurudawara Darbar Sahib in Pakistan and Gurudwara Dera Baba Nanak in India. This border is set about 4.7 kilometers from the India and Pakistan border. (10 Architectural Beauties Of Pakistan You Must Know Of)
With this crossing, Indian devotees can visit the Karatpur Gurudwara without a visa. However, if a devotee from Pakistan has to visit Dera Baba Nanak Gurudwara, they have to first obtain an Indian visa. Not more than 5000 people on regular days and 10000 people on special occasions can travel to Sri Kartarpur Sahib.
General Instructions To Keep In Mind While Visiting Sri Kararpur Sahib
- The departures start at 8 am in the morning and last till 3 pm. However, all the pilgrims must return before the sunsets.
- All the devotees are taken to the gurudwara in a golf cart.
- All the devotees who visit the gurudwara have to register in advance. The applicant should register in advance online. However, mere registration won't give the applicant the right to travel.
- Applicants are granted permission through ETA - Electronic travel authorization on their email address and they have to carry a copy of the same while travelling.
- All the pilgrims have to travel to the border in the morning and return on the same day.
- On reaching Sri Kartarpur Sahib, pilgrims can't go anywhere outside.
Requirements For Registration
- Applicants should possess a valid passport.
- Applicants should be aware of their blood group.
- Accurate information including name, date of birth, and address should be filled in the form. Applications with incorrect, false information will lead to rejection.
- Scanned copy of passport size photo.
- Scanned copy of passport.
- Pilgrims holding OCI or overseas citizenship of India should fill in all the details in the registration form.
Visiting Gurudwara Kartapur Sahib - Do's
- The application should be sent at least 20 days before you plan to travel.
- Carry currency as per RBI regulations. One can't carry more than INR 11000 during their visit.
- Only one baggage is allowed and should not weigh more than 7 kg.
- Drinking water is allowed and can be carried along.
- To keep the surroundings clean, eco-friendly bags should be carried, preferably cloth bags.
Visiting Gurudwara Kartapur Sahib - Don'ts
- Playing loud music and photographing others without permission is not allowed.
- Smoking, drinking, and use of tobacco isn't allowed in the Passenger Terminal Building Complex.
- Carrying any item from the negative list like narcotic drugs, explosive substances, firearms, broadband devices among others isn't allowed.
Do you plan to visit Sri Kartarpur Sahib? Share your thoughts with us on our Facebook page. For more such stories, stay tuned!
Did you like this article ?
Your skin and body like you are unique. While we have taken all measures to ensure that the information provided in this article and on our social media channels is credible and expert verified, we recommend you consult a doctor or your dermatologist before trying a home remedy, quick hack or exercise regime. For any feedback or complaint, reach out to us at firstname.lastname@example.org