There has been a significant increase in air pollution over the years. Various air pollutants such as cigarette smoke, ultraviolet radiation, volatile organic compounds among others affect the skin negatively.
The repercussions of air pollution on the skin are many. Some common pigmentation, premature ageing, breakouts among others.
What Does Air Pollution Do To Our Skin?
There are pollutants all around us and if we don't create a barrier for our skin, they get into our skin and strip it off of essential oils and vitamins, leaving our skin dull and damaged.
Air pollutants can damage our skin in multiple ways with issues like irritation, dehydration, breakouts, pigmentation, fine lines among others.
How To Create A Barrier On Skin Against Polluted Air?
With constant exposure to air pollutants, our skin starts to lose its natural barrier. To prevent the air pollutants from stripping of the natural oils, it is crucial to use an effective protective layer.
How Coconut Oil Acts As A Protective Layer For Your Skin?
Dr. Aparna Santhanam, Dermatologist shared that coconut based skin oils not just provide simple and effective moisturisation to the skin but also have the capabilities to work as a protective layer or barrier for the skin. "Coconut based skin oils are effective in combating pollution and in restoring hydration and youthfulness to the skin makes them the perfect skin care ingredient to include in our routines this winter," the expert said.
Coconut Based Skin Oil Reduces Inflammation Caused By Air Pollution
The lauric acid found in coconut-based skin oils have antimicrobial properties, which help kill bacteria on the skin. Also, it is scientifically proven that coconut based skin oils help reduce inflammation on the skin, especially that caused by air pollution and particulate matter in the atmosphere.
Coconut Based Skin Oils Form A Protective Layer On Your Skin
The expert shard that coconut-based skin oil gets absorbed into the skin easily due to its ability to penetrate the skin effectively and forms an occlusive layer inside the skin, acting as an internal umbrella, locking in moisture, and reducing trans epidermal water loss, thereby increasing skin hydration by as much as 30 % in just 60 minutes.
Coconut Based Skin Oil Benefits
- The lauric acid found in coconut-based skin oils has antimicrobial properties which kills bacteria on the skin and reduces inflammation.
- By forming an internal occlusive layer, coconut-based skin oils improve barrier function and protect the skin from ill effects of pollution, dry cold weather and poor lifestyle habits.
- Coconut-based skin oils also help exfoliate the outer layer of dead skin cells, making your skin smoother.
- Coconut-based skin oil is an effective way to wipe away makeup after a long day, without the drying effect.
- Coconut-based skin oils get absorbed rapidly into your skin and connective tissues and further help to reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles.
- These oils are rich in medium-chain fatty acids, which help retain the moisture content of your skin.
How To Use Coconut Based Skin Oil For Protection Against Air Pollutants?
- Coconut oil or coconut based skin oils can be used as a moisturiser for your skin.
- Begin with washing your face with a gentle cleanser.
- Take a few drops of coconut based oil and rub it in your palm for a few minutes.
- Apply tiny dots all over the fac and neck.
- Gently massage in circular motion. Don't forget the neck, massage in upward motion.