If you like having something light yet filling for your breakfast then nothing can beat upma. Upma is one of the most loved South Indian dishes and is prepared all across the country in different variants.
This tomato upma is a must-try. Tomato upma has a tangy and spicy flavour that you will enjoy if you are bored of having your regular upma.
How To Make Tomato Upma?
In a pan, add 1 cup of rava or sooji.
Roast it on low flame. Keep stirring in between.
When the rava turns aromatic, take off the flame and keep it aside.
In the same pan, add 2 tbsp of ghee or oil.
Add mustard seeds to it and stir. These seeds are cooked after they start to make a crackling sound.
Next add 1 tsp of cumin seeds, 1 tsp of chana dal, and 1 tsp of urad dal to the pan and stir. Saute till the mix turns golden. Make sure that you don't burn the seeds or dal.
Add 1 to 2 dry chillies and a pinch of asafoetida to the pan and stir.
Add chopped onions and saute on low to medium flame. Saute till they turn translucent.
Next add green chillies, ginger, and curry leaves to the pan and saute.
Add chopped tomatoes to the pan.
Sprinkle turmeric powder, red chilli powder, and bisi bele bath powder. Mix well and cook on low flame.
Saute till the tomatoes start to soften.
Add 2.5 cups of water to the pan and mix.
Sprinkle salt as per taste.
When the water starts to boil, lower the flame and add rava slowly.
Immediately start to stir the rava in the mix.
Rava will absorb the water and start to cook. Cover for a few minutes and let the upma cook.
Switch off the flame. Tomato upma is ready. Garish with coriander leaves. Serve with homemade chutney or ghee.
Tomato Upma Recipe Card
This healthy upma can also be enjoyed as an evening snack with a cup of tea.
- Total Time :
- 30 min
- Preparation Time :
- 10 min
- Cooking Time :
- 20 min
- Servings :
- Cooking Level :
- Tanya Malik
- 1 Cup Rava Or Sooji
- 2 Tbsp Ghee Or Oil
- 1 Tsp Cumin Seeds
- 1 Tsp Mustard Seeds
- 1 Tsp Urad Dal
- 1 Tsp Chana Dal
- 2 Dry Red Chillies
- Pinch Of Asafoetida
- 1 Chopped Onion
- 1 Chopped Tomato
- 1 Tsp Chopped Ginger
- Handful Of Curry Leaves
- 1/2 Tsp Red Chilli Powder Or Bisi Bele Bath Powder
- 2.5 Cups Water
- Salt As Per Taste
- Step 1
- In a pan, dry roast rava for a few minutes.
- Step 2
- Take off flame after it turns aromatic and keep aside.
- Step 3
- In the same pan, add some ghee and mustard seeds.
- Step 4
- Next add cumin seeds, chana dal and urad dal.
- Step 5
- Add dry red chillies and asafoetida. Stir.
- Step 6
- Add chopped onions and saute till translucent.
- Step 7
- Now add chopped green chillies, curry leaves and ginger. Saute.
- Step 8
- Next add chopped tomatoes, turmeric powder, red chilli or besi bele bath powder. Cook on medium flame.
- Step 9
- Add 2.5 cups of water and salt as per taste to the pan. After water comes to boil, slowly start to add rava.
- Step 10
- Stir and cover till cooks completely. Tomato upma is ready!