Rumali roti is a thin and soft popular flatbread that is traditionally served with Mughlai food. This roti is so thin that it can be folded like a handkerchief. We all enjoy this delicious roti with soya chaap, daal makhni, paneer butter masala among other popular curries.
If you are craving some rumali roti then you can prepare some at home using just a few ingredients on a tawa.
How To Make Rumali Roti At Home On A Tawa?
- In a large bowl, add whole wheat flour, all-purpose flour, salt, and oil/ghee. Start kneading the dough.
- Instead of water, add milk. Make sure the milk is warm for a soft dough.
- It will take a few minutes to knead the dough properly. Cover with a moist cloth and keep the dough aside for 20-30 minutes so that it can rise.
- Take a small dough ball and dust some flour on it.
- Use a rolling pin to flatten the bread. Make sure your roll it even and thin.
- In a separate bowl, add water and salt. Mix.
- Invert the tawa on a medium flame and when it is hot, spread some salt water on it.
- Place the roti on the tawa and let it cook. When you see bubbles on the suface of the roti, it is time to flip the side and cook the other side.
- Scrape out the roti when you see brown spots and place in a plate folded like a handkerchief. Serve with a delicious thick gravy.
Rumali Roti Recipe Card
Soft and delicious, this roti tastes great with just any gravy!
- Total Time :
- 50 min
- Preparation Time :
- 40 min
- Cooking Time :
- 10 min
- Servings :
- Cooking Level :
- Main Course
- Tanya Malik
- 2 Cup Whole Wheat Flour Or Atta
- 1/2 Cup All Purpose Flour Or Maida
- 1 Tsp Ghee Or Oil
- 3/4 Cup Milk
- Salt As Required
- Step 1
- Add whole wheat flour, maida, salt, ghee and milk to a large bowl and start kneading the dough.
- Step 2
- Keep the dough aside for 20 to 30 minutes till it rises.
- Step 3
- Take a small dough and start flattening with a rolling pin.
- Step 4
- Place an inverted pan on the flame.
- Step 5
- Make a mix of salt and water and spread it on the tawa when it is hot.
- Step 6
- Keep the rumali roti on the tawa and let it cook. Flip when th roti is cooked. Transfer to the plate and serve with thick gravy.