If you are looking for a healthy and tasty dessert recipe for the upcoming Holi festival then this recipe is for you. Holi celebrations are incomplete without some sweet but if you are looking for a healthy alternative to sugar then you can use organic palm jaggery.
Palm jaggery is prepared using sugarcane juice and extract from the palm trees and is a good substitute for refined sugar.
Chef Thimma Reddy, Executive Chef, THE Park Hyderabad has shared this easy recipe of preparing organic palm jaggery malpua at home. Read on.
How To Make Jaggery Malpuas?
- In a big bowl, add refined flour or maida and semolina.
- Grate palm jaggery and add to the bowl.
- Also, add fennel seeds and cardamom powder.
- Add milk to the bowl and start to stir slowly in one direction. Keep stirring till you have no lumps in the batter.
- Next, add water to the batter and mix again to get a smooth consistency.
- Whisk the batter for 5 minutes and then let it rest for 30 minutes.
- On a hot tawa, add some oil or ghee.
- Pour the batter using a ladle and let it cook on one side.
- Gently press the malpua start to puff up, flip to the other side and cook till golden and crisp.
- Transfer the malpuas to a kitchen towel to remove excess oil.
- In a pan, add water, palm jaggery, cardamom powder, and saffron. Let it cook for a few minutes and once you get a syrup-like consistency, take off flame.
- Dip the malpuas in the jaggery syrup and let them rest for about 10 minutes.
- Take the malpuas out and garnish with dry fruits. Serve with rabri or as is.
Palm Jaggery Malpuas Recipe Card
Healthy and delicious, these malpuas are the perfect sweet treat for Holi.
- Total Time :
- 30 min
- Preparation Time :
- 10 min
- Cooking Time :
- 20 min
- Servings :
- Cooking Level :
- Tanya Malik
- 1 Cup Refined Flour
- ½ Cup Semolina
- ¼ Cup Refined Palm Jaggery
- ½ Tsp Fennel
- ¼ Tsp Cardamom Powder
- ½ Cup Milk
- Water As Required
- Oil For Deep Frying
- 30 ML Ghee
- Rabri For Serving (Optional)
- Dry Fruits For Garnish
- 1 Cup Palm Jaggery (For Sugar Syrup)
- ¼ Tsp Cardamom Powder (For Sugar Syrup)
- Few Strands Of Saffron (For Sugar Syrup)
- Step 1
- In a bowl, add refined flour, palm jaggery, semolina, fennel seeds and cardamom powder. Mix well.
- Step 2
- Add milk and water to the bowl and mix well to get a smooth consistency.
- Step 3
- On a hot tawa, add ghee and transfer the malpua mix.
- Step 4
- Let the malpua cook on both the sides. Take off flame when golden and crisp.
- Step 5
- In a pan, add palm jaggery, water, saffron and cardamom powder. Bring to boil and take off flame when you achieve a sugar like consistency. n
- Step 6
- Dip the malpuas in the sugar syrup for 10 minutes and then take out. Garnish with dry fruits and serve.