Bread or double roti as it is commonly known as since times immemorial in our culinary history has been one of our all-time favourite and helpful buddy in our kitchens assisting us in so many ways working on recipes, helping bind and coat dishes, from the very basic bread butter sandwich to the classic club sandwiches, bread is one ingredient without which most of us feel lost and incomplete.
I still remember when I learnt the very basic cooking I was first taught how to make good sandwiches, how to carefully remove the crusts of the slice breads, the application of butter etc and choice of fillings, cutting and assembling of sandwiches on platters for our birthday parties etc it was so much fun working with bread and relishing its outputs. There are of course a variety of them from our classic laadi Pao to the white bread, the brown variety, the multi-grain, the whole wheat concepts, the flour and seed combination breads to the designer rolls and international breads too each one of them has a different taste and outlook altogether.
Here are a few simple and easy recipes using our regular leftover/ couple of days old breads in our kitchens in a slightly twisted way and in a new look!
Bread Ka Masaledaar Nashta
- Sliced Bread/Pao 4-5 Slices/3-4 no
- Oil 2 Tbsp
- Cumin Seeds ½ tsp
- Mustard seeds- ½ tsp
- Curry leaves-10-12 no.
- Onions 1 Cup Chopped
- Tomatoes 1 Cup Chopped
- Salt To Taste
- Aamchur Powder 1/2 Tsp
- Water 1/2 Cup
- Coriander Powder 1 Tbsp
- Turmeric Powder 1/2 Tsp
- Red Chili Powder 1/2 Tsp
- Coriander Leaves-2 Tbsp
- Lime 1
- Roasted Crushed Peanuts 2 Tbsp
- Cut the bread slices into small pieces using the crusts as well.
- Heat oil in a pan, saute the cumin, mustard seeds, curry leaves, onions, add chilies to taste.
- Add in the tomatoes and salt, all spices little water and cook for 3-4 mins on low flame.
- Add in the bread, sprinkle little water over it and mix well, simmer cover and cook the bread in the masala for 3-4 mins.
- Finally add in the aamchur powder, coriander leaves, peanuts, lime juice and mix well, add nylon sev or sev bhujiya on the top and serve as a snack/breakfast etc.
Open-Faced Bread Pizza
- Sliced bread/ bread loaf slices- 4-5 no
To apply on the bread:
- Butter/cream cheese/ tomato ketchup/ schezuan
- chutney/green chutney/ pesto sauce/ peanut butter.
For the toppings on the bread pizza:
- Onions, capsicums, tomatoes, boiled American corn, saute mushrooms, grilled paneer/tofu, leftover sliced tandoori chicken or seekh kababs, choose between ingredients like olives, gherkins, sun-dried tomatoes, non-veg like sausages, salami, ham etc.
The final topping before baking:
- Grated cheese of your choice
- Mixed Herbs
- Chili Flakes
- Crushed Black Peppercorns
Chat Masala To Taste (mix well and place on the top and bake in a pre-heated oven or using a non-stick tava etc allow to cook and get a crusty base and cut into wedges and serve.)
- Assemble all the ingredients as per your choice for this quick snack.
- Depending on availability decide the various parts of your pizza.
- Pre-heat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius and bake the pizza and serve hot.
Sesame Bread Toast
- Sliced bread white/brown 4-5
For the spread on the bread:
- Butter/Cream cheese
For the topping on the bread
- Veg- Option-1 (Paneer bhurji/grated paneer, capsicum, onion mixed with salt, pepper, chili flakes, herbs, and topped with white til/sesame seed and little cheese toast and serve.)
- Veg- Option-2 (Mashed /grated potato with onion, tomato, chili, salt, pepper, chat masala, coriander leaves, mix well place on the bread slice top with cheese and til and toast.
- Non-Veg- Options (boiled chopped chicken mixed with cheese sauce, herbs, chili flakes, boiled chopped eggs mixed with onion, tomato, chat masala, tomato ketchup, chili and coriander leaves, mix and place.)
- Prepare the ingredients for this interesting snack called til wale toast.
- After choosing veg/non-veg toppings get the ingredients ready, apply a spread of butter/cream cheese on the slice of bread, place the topping of your choice.
- Finally sprinkle the mixture of sesame seeds can use mix of black and white as well and cheese and mix well and get the toasts getting into the oven for toasting, serve hot.
Bread Toss Chicken Veggie Salad
- Leftover bread/slice bread/bread rolls- 4-5 slices.
For the base of the salad:
- Assorted lettuce leaves- 1 cup or shredded cabbage.
For the body of the salad:
- Boiled chicken cubes or grilled paneer cubes/tofu etc.
- Cucumber ½ cup cubes
- Tomatoes ½ cup cubes
- Onions-1/4 cup cubes
For the dressing:
- Olive oil 2 tbsp
- Lime juice 2 tbsp
- White vinegar 2 tsp
- Sugar 1/2 tsp
- Salt and crushed black pepper to taste
- Chat masala 1/2 tsp
- Mixed herbs/chili flakes ½ tsp
- Tomato ketchup 2 tsp
- For the garnish of the salad:
- Cherry tomatoes/ olives/ gherkins/ micro greens/ sunflower seeds/flax seeds/ chia seeds- as desired.
- Assemble all the ingredients for the salad.
- Cut the bread into pieces and toast it slightly before add it in the salad.
- In a mixing bowl combine together the ingredients for the dressing and mix well.
- Just before serving add the body of the salad into the dressing add the bread lastly and toss gently.
- Arrange the base on the serving plate or salad plates, place the tossed salad on top, garnish as desired and serve chilled.
Stay tuned to HerZindagi for more such recipe by chef Kaviraj Khialani who is not just a celebrity Master Chef but has a varied experience with hotels and airlines. He is an author, food writer, food designer, consultant, and creative cuisine specialist.