There has been a rise in the number of PAN card fraud cases in the past. It is quite effortless for fraudsters to misuse one's PAN card today when all the relevant information can be found in one place. Well, that's one big downside of the digital world.
From one's residence details to bank account number, it is quite easy to access everything digitally in a few clicks. However, it brings along its own cons which can put a lot at risk.
Rajkummar Rao's PAN Card Misused
Actor Rajkummar Rao recently became a victim of PAN card fraud. A loan was taken in his name using his PAN card. Further, his credit score has been affected. He asked Credit Information Bureau (India) Limited (CIBIL) to look into the matter via a Tweet from his official handle.
He tweeted, "#FraudAlert My pan card has been misused and a small loan of Rs.2500 has been taken on my name. Due to which my cibil score has been affected. @CIBIL_Official please rectify the same and do take precautionary steps against this."
How To Prevent PAN Card Fraud?
PAN card number or the permanent account number is a 10 character number that is issued by the Income Tax Department to all the taxpayers in the country. Through this one number, all tax-related information of a person or company can be accessed.
Just like Rajkummar Rao, many other PAN card holders in the past have suffered from PAN card fraud wherein loans were taken against someone else's PAN. The result? Fraudsters don't repay the loan and it is the PAN cardholder who gets defaulted. How can you check if a loan is taken against your name?
One easy way is by generating your credit score. Services of any credit bureau such as CIBIL, Equifax can be used to check if a loan has been taken against your name.
Fintech platforms like Paytm can be used to check financial reports. For this, you will need to enter all your personal details along with the PAN card details.
How To Prevent PAN Card Details From Getting Stolen?
- Avoid giving your PAN card number on bookings where it isn't necessary and you can manage with other details. This is because such details are often mentioned clearly on the bookings and it can be easier for a criminal to use them for illegal activities.
- A lot of us are quite active on social media these days and while creating our profiles on different platforms, we often give away a lot of personal details which can make it easier for someone to access our PAN card.
- Use your PAN card only where it is necessary. Use other identity cards like Aadhar card, Voter ID, Driver's license which are valid but less vulnerable to such frauds.
- When giving photocopies of your PAN card for applications, transactions, always mention the purpose on it and then self attest it with date. This will prevent any fraudster to misuse it.
- Avoid carrying a physical copy of PAN card with you all the time. You can have a scanned copy in your phone for quick access.
- Be very careful when you get your PAN card photocopied from a shop. Make sure you don't leave your photocopies or original document behind.
- While making bookings from a private computer or phone, make sure you always delete the digital information related to your personal documents immediately. (how to stay safe online)
- Keep a regular check on your credit score. Connect with Credit Information Bureau Limited if there is a wrong entry to prevent yourself from being a victim of fraud.
We hope these tips help you prevent theft of your personal data and money. For more such tips, stay tuned!
Did you like this article ?
Your skin and body like you are unique. While we have taken all measures to ensure that the information provided in this article and on our social media channels is credible and expert verified, we recommend you consult a doctor or your dermatologist before trying a home remedy, quick hack or exercise regime. For any feedback or complaint, reach out to us at firstname.lastname@example.org