Flowers not only uplift our mood with their mesmerising colours and fragrances, but they also consist of some amazing properties, which brings harmony and helps us to calm our mind and bodies. The soothing aroma of many flowers is known for having a calming effect on our brain which promotes relaxation. In ancient times, the fragrances of flowers like rose, jasmine, and lavender, and so on, were used for treating psychosomatic problems. Flowers have a unique and powerful quality that allows them to protect us from environmental and mental stress issues.
Flowers In Beauty Rituals
The extracts or essential oils derived from the flowers are mostly used in various high-end beauty products and treatments in salons. Essential oils are procured from the plants that consist of soothing aroma and several healing properties. It also helps in achieving beautiful skin and hair when incorporated into your beauty routine.
Essential oils are different from cold-pressed oils such as sesame seed (til), coconut, olive, and almond oils. They are complex in nature and contain the volatile and aromatic part of the plant. Apart from having effective medicinal properties, essential oils are known for their calming and comforting fragrances too. The fragrances of the flowers like rose, sandalwood, jasmine, lavender, and so on are often been used in aromatherapy too.
When it comes to beauty, the most common essential oils derived from flowers like rose, jasmine, lavender, chamomile, marigold, lotus, etc., are widely used. Although, you should never apply the essential oil directly to the skin, and they need to be diluted in the correct proportions along with the pressed oils and lotions like rose water.
Here’s How To Use Flowers For A Healthy Skin And Hair
- Rose water is considered one of the best and organic skin toner. Take some rose water in a bowl and cool it in the freezer, then dap the cotton in the chilled rose water and wipe your face with it. Now briskly pat the skin and let the rose water sink in. The rose water helps to achieve healthy and youthful skin and specifically great during the summer and rainy season.
- If you are an oily skin type person, then take one tablespoon of rose water and add 2 to 3 drops of lemon juice to it. Now, dip the cotton pad and wipe your skin with it, to get rid of any oil, dirt, and sweat from the face and to achieve rejuvenated skin.
- For normal to dry skin people, take one tablespoon of rose water and add 2 to 3 drops of glycerin in it, and apply the solution on the face.
- If you are dealing with skin issues like acne, then you can take a few drops of rose water, add it to the sandalwood powder, and apply the paste on the pimples, acne, or boils for soothing and reducing the skin inflammation.
- Rose water can also be added to face packs and scrubs. Almond meal (powdered almond) can be used with a little rose water as a facial scrub.
- You can also dip the cotton balls or pads in rose water and use them as eye pads, to remove fatigue and brighten the eyes.
- Moisturise your hands with a natural rose-infused cream to keep the skin healthy and youthful
Don't miss: Shahnaz Husain Rolls Out Pre-Bridal Detox Tips
Goodness Of Flowers
- For cold infusions, the hibiscus (gurhal) flowers and leaves should be allowed to stand overnight in cold water, in a ratio of one to six. The flowers should be squeezed and the water strained before use.
- Such infusions can be used to wash the hair and scalp or applied on the scalp with cotton wool. Infusions, or the juice of the flowers, can be added to henna and applied to the hair. This can be a total hair-food and conditioning treatment.
- For marigold (gainda) or calendula flowers, either fresh or dry flowers can be used. In boiling water, add four tablespoons of the flowers. Do not boil. Allow the flowers to be steeped in the hot water for 20 to 30 minutes. Strain and cool the water and use it to rinse the hair. It should be used as a final rinse. Cooled water can also be used to wash the face. It has a beneficial effect on oily and pimple-prone skin, as well as dandruff.
- Sunflower oil (pressed oil) can be applied to the face to soothe sunburn.
- Indeed, flowers are nature’s gift to man and provide a unique level of healing energy.
Shahnaz Husain is a well-known beauty and wellness expert. For more such super effective beauty tips from the expert, stay tuned!