Lice are small hair bugs that easily gets transmitted from its host to another person. It is most common in children and teenagers. Often adults also get lice from children or other hosts. To get rid of these bugs, there are some effective products available in the market. But, hardly any of those products guarantee to deal with lice eggs. If you have them, then you know how difficult it is to remove even a single nit from hair without damaging the hair follicles.
Lice eggs on a single hair strand look like tiny white, yellowish oval-shaped structure. With an enzyme called chitin, these are strongly glued to the hair shaft. Even if you have removed lice successfully from your hair and there is no scope of them coming back, the empty eggshells still stay on your hair, making it look bad. Need not suffer any longer, because we are here with a few simple home remedies that will remove nits from your hair in no time!
Found easily in every household, vinegar is known for its anti-fungal and anti-bacterial properties. It is used for various household hacks and to solve certain hair problems like infections and dandruff. This ingredient is also beneficial in dissolving the glue that lice leave behind to stick the eggs to the hair. Using this vinegar home remedy, you can easily take off those stubborn nits.
- Dark colour fabric
- Fine-tooth comb
- Lukewarm water.
- 2 cups of vinegar
- Start by covering the shoulders with dark coloured fabric. This will help you to see removed eggs.
- Wet entire scalp and hair from the roots down to the tips with lukewarm water. Divide your hair into 6-8 small segments.
- In a bowl, take 2 cups of vinegar, add 1 cup of normal water. Mix both together.
- Now, pour 2 tablespoons of solution on the first hair segment. Comb it using a fine-tooth comb and let the eggs come out on the dark fabric.
- Repeat this process on all other segments. Try this every day for a week for best results.
This is the easiest method to remove nits from the hair. The idea is to soak hair completely and then removing lice eggs so that they can come off easily without causing any further damage to the hair strands. The wet combing method is great for those who have dry hair and combination hair. As they cannot apply harsh ingredients like vinegar on a daily basis to their hair and scalp.
- Deep conditioning hair conditioner
- Fine tooth comb
- First, wash your hair as usual with your shampoo. Wash twice with 15-minutes intervals in between, because you want the eggs to soak in water.
- After rinsing, apply a generous amount of hair conditioner on the length of your hair. Do not apply it on the scalp. Leave an inch space from the roots and then apply conditioner.
- Let it sit for 5-8 minutes. Take your comb and start brushing your hair.
- You’ll notice the eggs are coming off easily. Repeat until you take out most of the nits.
- Lastly, wash your hair nicely. Repeat this every alternate day.
Removing lice from hair can turn out to be an extremely damaging process already. If you want to stick to chemical-free products, then mayonnaise can be the perfect choice for you. Other than removing nits, it can also help in providing nutrients to your hair. As it is loaded with protein, vitamin, and fatty acids that help in keeping your locks super soft and also provide intense moisturisation.
- Shower Cap
- Fine tooth comb
- 2 large tablespoon mayonnaise
- Comb your hair to remove any tangles. Divide it into four equal parts.
- Start applying mayonnaise in each section with your hand or a brush.
- Once done, tie your hair in a loose hair bun. Wear a shower cap to lock the moisture in.
- Let the mayonnaise sit in your hair for 1 hour. After that, using a fine-tooth comb, brush your hair.
- You will see the nits are coming off. After combing completely, wash your hair with regular or homemade shampoo.
Stay tuned to HerZindagi for such articles.