Vastu Shastra, an ancient Indian science that helps to boost harmony and prosperity in the lives of people by eliminating negative energy and enhancing positive energies around us. While we spend most of our time at homes, we want it to be filled with good vibes that can ultimately provide us peace and relaxation. Vastu is a science of direction that combines the five elements of nature and cosmos that balance everything.
You need not spend lots of money to analyse the position and direction of different rooms in your house, including the direction of the property. HZ spoke to a Vastu Consultant, Reecha Sharma. She, who is also an Interior Design and CEO of Bogainville, Holistic Designs told us how you can check Vastu directions using your phone’s compass.
Learn The Directions
- Reecha Sharma told us that there are a total of 32 directions.
- 4 Cardinal Directions: north (N), east (E), south (S), west (W), at 90° angles on the compass.
- 4 Intercardinal (or ordinal) Directions: northeast (NE), southeast (SE), southwest (SW) and northwest (NW)
Thing To Remember
“Generally people get confused with “Facing” and “Zone” while checking the directions. Facing is the direction in front, whereas the zone is the corner that falls in a particular direction. For instance, if your property is NE facing, it doesn’t mean that the entry falls in the NE too,” said Reecha.
Follow These Steps To Check The Directions
- Open the Compass on your phone. You can also download a simple compass app from the app store.
- Make a rough plan of the space you are planning to occupy and mark the centre.
- Then observe the directions on your compass app whilst standing in the centre of your space and start marking the zones.
- While checking the directions, one is supposed to stand in the centre of the plot and not at the entrance. We all know that the northeast (NE) is supposed to be the best entry but, NE facing and NE corner are two different things.
- To check if a particular corner is receiving positive or negative energies, take the architectural drawing or a rough plan of the area. Mark the sides of the property by joining its corners. You’ll get a rectangle or square which will let you judge easily the type of energy flow.
- Try to notice all the water bodies, the depth, and the height of every direction and corner. For instance, southwest (SW) should be the highest, and NE should be the lowest.
- Thereafter, just divide the plan into 4 parts and mark all the directions as taken.