Are you an Idli-Dosa fan? Not a South Indian but take immense pleasure in eating all kinds of South Indian food? Do you get tempted even by the thought of crispy dosas and soft idlis? We are here with the recipe of ‘Podi’, also known as ‘Gunpowder’! This recipe will up your game in making South Indian food!
Not only is the taste of Podi so good but it is also extremely simple to make! Just roast the ingredients and blend them together and voila! Your Podi is ready!
How To Make Podi?
- Take a pan and dry roast sesame seeds till it becomes golden brown. Rest aside.
- Now, in the same pan roast dried red chillies and curry leaves. Set aside.
- Next, roast urad dal and chana dal separately.
- Place all these ingredients in a blender, add salt and turmeric.
- Blend them together till they form a powder.
- Enjoy this powder with ghee idlis or spread it inside the dosa while making it and the taste of these dishes will be elevated!
Podi Recipe Card
This spicy Podi recipe will instantly elevate the taste of your Idlis and Dosas!
- Total Time :
- 30 min
- Preparation Time :
- 10 min
- Cooking Time :
- 20 min
- Servings :
- Cooking Level :
- Riddhi Kaushik
- ⅓ Cup Sesame Seeds(Til)
- 4 Tablespoons Oil
- 20 Dried Red Chillies
- 10-12 Curry Leaves
- ⅓ Cup Chana Dal
- ⅓ Cup Urad Dal
- ½ Teaspoon Turmeric Powder
- Salt To Taste
- Step 1
- Take a pan and place it on medium heat.
- Step 2
- Then, add the sesame seeds to it and roast it till it changes colour to golden brown. Keep it aside.
- Step 3
- Then, add one tablespoon of oil and the red chillies. Roast them till they slightly begin to change colour. You want to roast these chillies perfectly for a smoky flavour. Keep it aside.
- Step 4
- Now, in the leftover oil, roast the curry leaves. They should become crispy but make sure they don’t burn.
- Step 5
- Set them aside as well.
- Step 6
- In the same pan, add a tablespoon of oil and the chana dal. Roast it well and set it aside.
- Step 7
- Again repeat the same process with urad dal. (We are not roasting all our ingredients together because they all have different roast timings.)
- Step 8
- Put them all in a blender and blend till it becomes a powder.
- Step 9
- Mix them with ghee and have them with your idli or you can even apply the powder inside the dosa while cooking.